headlights

beachcruiserD

Local time
6:00 PM
hey guys,
since the recent change in daylight hours, i've been looking for a decent light set up, which is also cheap....
I see alot of one that look good, but are too much, and the cheap ones seem like they might be underpowered....
I'm looking for something that will work well as a headlight in poorly lit areas, so that i dont have to guess what im about to run over anymore, like i currently have to with my 3-LED 'safety' light....
basically, i need something that does much more than just let other cars know im on the road.
I have found this 53 LED headlight, but was wondering if anyone has found anything else, or from a local shop.
thanks,
beachcruiserD
http://www.b2c-support.com/53-led-bright-bicycle-bike-light-torch-flashlight-lamp-p-1641.html

mountain80

Local time
7:00 PM
I had the same problem as I commute to work quite early when the sun is not up and some of the streets are pitch black. After looking at expensive hid, led and other bicycle systems I now use a set of driving lights I found at princess auto(Canada) They cam as a set of two with 12 volt halogen lightbulbs just the kind you would use for undercounter lighting and flood lights. Purchased a 12v 7ah sealed battery and I already had the wire, inline fuse and switch. Seeing as I wanted a rear rack anyways the whole project budget was a 120 bucks for everything including the rack. I changed the bulb from the stock 55w down to 20w for now as the battery capacity is decreased at freezing temperatures. I get 2 hours at the temp with the 20w but I am going to put in a 35w soon. The bulb is a standard MR16 which can be bought anywhere and the beam spread in degrees can be selected as well. I just plug it in on a trickle charger for a couple hours at night. It works quite well and is very bright. Check the pics out.

Attachments

• 100_1378.jpg
    100_1378.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 463
  • 100_1379.jpg
    100_1379.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 422
  • 100_1381.jpg
    100_1381.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 389

MotorMac

Local time
9:00 PM
lights

Mountain80 I did the same thing, but I left the 55 watt bulb in as I like the tremendous amount of light it puts out. I bought 2 batteries from Princess Auto as they were on sale cheap,that way 1 is always charged ready to go and if I go out for more than a couple of hours I will take both with me. Man its getting cold here too in Ontario!

buck

Local time
Same thing here. I went to wallmart and they had a pair of driving lights
that look just like those for less that 20 bucks. I mounted one onto the front reflector bracket, and have one for a spare. I left the 55 watt bulb and got the same battery. 600 miles and no problems.

mountain80

Local time
Up unil a week ago i was doin my 21 km commute to work most days if there was no snow or rain. The chinooks are back so goin to work at zero to -5 is not a problem as it is in the pluses when coming home. I have a second 5ah battery which i initially bought but with the 35w bulb i only got about an hour and 15 min at these temps but i think I will be makin up an additional wiring harness so i can run 12 ah in total which will keep me running for a couple of hours in the cold. Princess auto rocks as they have everything just about for the tinkerer and do it yourselfer at a decent price!

MotorMac

Local time
Princess auto

Yeah its my favourite store too,I can spend hours in there! my wife has to drag me out!

mountain80

Local time
lol yeah its the only place i know where i don't need nothing and can still go look for an hour or two but when I do need something its on sale and I can usually walk out of there for 20 dollars!!

K

kerf

I'm running a 20w headlight, 6w tail light, brake light and turn signals off a 5 ah Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM), SLA. Get about 1 1/2 hours running everything. Headlight is a MR16 - 10 degree spot.