headlights

beachcruiserD

Local time
12:30 AM
hey guys,
since the recent change in daylight hours, i've been looking for a decent light set up, which is also cheap....
I see alot of one that look good, but are too much, and the cheap ones seem like they might be underpowered....
I'm looking for something that will work well as a headlight in poorly lit areas, so that i dont have to guess what im about to run over anymore, like i currently have to with my 3-LED 'safety' light....
basically, i need something that does much more than just let other cars know im on the road.
I have found this 53 LED headlight, but was wondering if anyone has found anything else, or from a local shop.
thanks,
beachcruiserD
http://www.b2c-support.com/53-led-bright-bicycle-bike-light-torch-flashlight-lamp-p-1641.html

I had the same problem as I commute to work quite early when the sun is not up and some of the streets are pitch black. After looking at expensive hid, led and other bicycle systems I now use a set of driving lights I found at princess auto(Canada) They cam as a set of two with 12 volt halogen lightbulbs just the kind you would use for undercounter lighting and flood lights. Purchased a 12v 7ah sealed battery and I already had the wire, inline fuse and switch. Seeing as I wanted a rear rack anyways the whole project budget was a 120 bucks for everything including the rack. I changed the bulb from the stock 55w down to 20w for now as the battery capacity is decreased at freezing temperatures. I get 2 hours at the temp with the 20w but I am going to put in a 35w soon. The bulb is a standard MR16 which can be bought anywhere and the beam spread in degrees can be selected as well. I just plug it in on a trickle charger for a couple hours at night. It works quite well and is very bright. Check the pics out.

Attachments

• 100_1378.jpg
    100_1378.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 499
  • 100_1379.jpg
    100_1379.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 458
  • 100_1381.jpg
    100_1381.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 418
lights

Mountain80 I did the same thing, but I left the 55 watt bulb in as I like the tremendous amount of light it puts out. I bought 2 batteries from Princess Auto as they were on sale cheap,that way 1 is always charged ready to go and if I go out for more than a couple of hours I will take both with me. Man its getting cold here too in Ontario!

Same thing here. I went to wallmart and they had a pair of driving lights
that look just like those for less that 20 bucks. I mounted one onto the front reflector bracket, and have one for a spare. I left the 55 watt bulb and got the same battery. 600 miles and no problems.

Up unil a week ago i was doin my 21 km commute to work most days if there was no snow or rain. The chinooks are back so goin to work at zero to -5 is not a problem as it is in the pluses when coming home. I have a second 5ah battery which i initially bought but with the 35w bulb i only got about an hour and 15 min at these temps but i think I will be makin up an additional wiring harness so i can run 12 ah in total which will keep me running for a couple of hours in the cold. Princess auto rocks as they have everything just about for the tinkerer and do it yourselfer at a decent price!

Princess auto

Yeah its my favourite store too,I can spend hours in there! my wife has to drag me out!

lol yeah its the only place i know where i don't need nothing and can still go look for an hour or two but when I do need something its on sale and I can usually walk out of there for 20 dollars!!

I'm running a 20w headlight, 6w tail light, brake light and turn signals off a 5 ah Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM), SLA. Get about 1 1/2 hours running everything. Headlight is a MR16 - 10 degree spot.

Back