Heat shields and exhaust questions

cdavid67

Local time
2:13 PM
Hello all,

I spent some time researching these topics before I decided to start this thread. As you may know, I am still gathering parts for my build before I start assembly.

My 1st question is: Can you remove the heat shields and goofy plastic covers from the HS 49cc engine without causing problems?

2nd: My engine came with a lawnmower looking exhaust:poop: and no pipe in the Grubee kit. Is this normal? I ordered an exhaust pipe from AGK so I don't want the stock pipe. Just curious more than anything. I guess I just need to unbolt the stock muffler looking box and throw it out?

Thank you.
cdavid

The engine shrouds are used to direct air flow over the cylinder walls with the built-in blower on the flywheel. They help to maintain a more stable engine temperature. So, taking off the shrouds may not hurt anything, or it may, depending on how (and where) you run the engine. If, for instance, you are in the Phoenix, AZ area, (where it was 105 yesterday, on 4/22!) then you should probably leave the shrouds in place. But, if you're in the northern half of the U.S., it probably wouldn't hurt.

(But, I'll bet it would void any warranty you might have!)

Back