"Heavy Duty" 26x2.125 wheel set- quality?

they look good to me.. Except..

Except for the post about it being coaster brake. I am not a big fan of the coaster brake. I guess that is ok if you have a strong front brake. Then it is ok. I wonder if they offer both coaster and free wheel? That would be cool. Price looks right..

I think this is one of those things that "you get what you pay for". I purchased a steel wheel with 12g spokes similar to this but it didn't have the coaster brake. I never could get the wheel trued. It also has sharp edges on the inner rim where the tube goes that seem like they would wear through a tube in no time. Never did trust the wheel enough to put it on a bike. Just my two cents. I usually buy alloy wheels with 12g spokes from bikepartsusa and have never had any problems with them.
Butch

I have this same wheel on my current Ride. It has awesome big spokes, but the rim ring is not the best quality. It is single thickness steel wheel. It stays pretty true, after the initial wheel break in. Mine IS the freewheel version.

I bought two of these from my local bike shop for right at $60 for the pair. It was a good thing I bought two. The day I installed the first I did not get the tensioner back on tight enough and it spun into the wheel as soon as I tried to start my engine. The spokes did not break, but pulled out of the rim. So I got rid of the tensioner and dealt with tension other ways and put on the second wheel.

So far it has been OK. It has a couple hundred miles on it now and seems like a solid wheel. I fixed the first wheel by getting washers to put on the spoke nipples that pulled thru, or were about to. It true right up and is ready to go in service if I have another failure.

In my opinion they are worth the money, but much better wheels are out there..

my opinion: those "cheapo" steel 105g wheels are a great budget upgrade to any bicycle with suspect wheels...this deal looks to be the "hi-stop" version, for a few dollars more you can find a "shimano" version that has dimpled rims and better clincher edges. and, freewheel versions are also available from other vendors.

anybody have some good links to these 26x2 1.25 wheel sets? its driveing me nuts trying to find good complete rear coaster brake & front wheel sets, most sites have lousy pics or no pics at all!

Back