Heavy Duty Replacement Clutch

boneswood

Local time
11:54 AM
Anyone know of where to find a heavy duty replacement clutch for a 49cc Huasheng with 4GT transmission? The one it comes with broke right away, and they sent a replacement, but you can tell it is just as cheap. Would appreciate any input!

Which kind of Huasheng is it, the one with a long keyed shaft (clutch comes with 4G) or the one with the short shaft (clutch comes with engine)?

The 5/8" shaft engine has a keyway and does not come with a clutch. The clutch comes with the 4G, in that case, a Honda-style 4G or new 7G.

The short shaft engine (aka "tapered shaft") has the integral clutch. This engine does not have a keyway on the PTO shaft.

There's not much to upgrade in either case; the clutches are generic. Staton-Inc carries nice versions of both clutches, but their site is down atm.

Nuts. I thought that may be the case after searching and searching and coming up with nothing. Thought I'd found a good replacement at bicycle-engines.com, but the sent me a clutch that does not even fit the engine they sell. Grrr... Has anyone else had clutch problems?

Yeah, B-E used to only sell kits with 5/8" keyed shaft engines, but they have obviously changed that in the last year.

Their current 4G kit states "Tapered 1/2" drive shaft with factory OEM centrifugal clutch"
which means that the replacement clutch they sell in their parts section won't fit. That clutch is for 5/8" shaft engines.

There isn't a whole lot you can do with the type of clutch you have besides change springs to modify engagement speed.

We thought of switching the springs too. One forum we read suggested 1/4'' #35 springs. Any clue on where we can find those? Been to the small motor places in our town and no luck. Thanks for all your help by the way.

Like I said, Staton-Inc carries all that stuff - clutches and clutch parts. Their site was down when I checked earlier, but it's back up now.

Here's a link to their heavy-duty clutch for your engine:
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/pro...ng_Zhongtian_142F_49cc_Four_Cycle-1676-0.html

If you look through their site you can find just the springs, many different flavors of engagement. I don't know what works with what, but Staton-Inc will.

Seems like a $314+shipping Q-matic gearbox is kind of steep when OP is just looking for a good clutch for his 4G.

Granted, few clutches are better than the MaxTorque in the Q-Matic, but a 4G with proper clutch with always out-accelerate a Q-Matic.

Back