Heavy Haulage - heavy load

Fabian

Local time
9:41 PM
Copy of email sent to friends:

That trailer is awesome - it gobbles up two overflowing full sized wheelbarrow loads of cargo, with enough room for a backpack tool kit and spare wheel.
The gas struts add a bit extra to the trailer - soon to have trailer brakes, trailer brake lights, reversing lights and indicators fitted too.

Climbing the steep grade on Cantebury Rd from Kilsyth to Montrose had the old girl working her guts out and the SickBikeParts Jackshaft Shifter Kit on the limits of mechanical reliability, together with me pedalling furiously (nearly blowing a spleen out my side) adding a bit of extra kick in the pants to the whole "go-show" with maybe 40 cargo kilos + 20 kilos unloaded trailer weight.

I was racing a B-double up the steepest section (he was giving it all he had with around 500 horsepower under the bonnett); reckon the old girl was getting the better of him with 60 kilos out the back, but only just!

It was neck and neck all the way, his front wheel next to mine and did i get to feel a 500 horsepower engine with turbo at full spool; pulling away from him at the top of the hill though - that was the ants pants, even getting a few friendly airhorn blasts.

There was sweat dripping off me, my lungs felt like they were going to explode; didn't think my ticker would make it to the top of the hill and i've never worked so hard in a long time.

The only thing better would have been a 'front on' photo - a Lance Armstrong moment.

What a race it was!

Fabian

Attachments

• Fabian's bicycle trailer - Cargo carrying capacity.JPG
    Fabian's bicycle trailer - Cargo carrying capacity.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 277
  • Fabian's Bicycle Trailer - Gas struts attached.JPG
    Fabian's Bicycle Trailer - Gas struts attached.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 277
I'm not sure what to write. (Even though it be International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Amazing, simply amazing. You do good work. I love your trailer.

Pretty much a testimony to your engine as well.

Arrrgh.

I must say the engineering on that trailer, looks like he's got it balanced pretty well...

Be careful, curse the thought, don't jacknife that thing!

As far as stability goes, it's surprisingly stable, even under hard braking.
What i am really keen on making is an independant suspension system using a trailing arm with forward mounted fulcrum point and 200mm gas struts for the shock absorbers with airbag style load units that can be pumped up or bled down depending on how much weight is in the trailer; this would also allow adjustable ride height for the trailer.

Fabian

Back