Hehe, checkout my new mini torch set up

mark20

Found this at menards today, looks like a mini oxy aceldiline torch kit. I figured for 60$ id give it a go.

Surprisingly it works like a full size one, just has a smaller flame. But it'll melt steel with no issues!

Going to grab some filler rod and go from there. I have 4 map bottles laying around so ill get some good use out of it.

Attachments

bike4life

Expensive way overpriced.... But its great stuff you are doing keep it up. experimenting with one of these torches is fun and youll learn a lot. I never used a mix like that just regular propane.

I cant believe they sell compressed oxygen for what, 10 dollars a can ?????
When oxygen is free, hell the air is 20% o2...
You might be able to jerry rig a compressed air hook up instead....

In a reaction, the stoichometry is the only thing that matters, compressed air should work in theory, as long as the volume and pressure is adjusted, via experimentation...

Aceteylene is more expensive that propane. Some people have had great luck with compressed air - propane torches, and the operational cost is around 10cents / 3000 btu
versus
acetyelene/map 1 dollar / 3000 btu
Not to mention map gas is not pure aceteylene or C2H2, but rather a blend of x % ch4 and x % C2H2
The trade off though is with propane and compressed air, its trick to braze with it, only heat up work.... the temperature is slightly less hot.

Last edited:

mark20

Expensive way overpriced.... But its great stuff you are doing keep it up. experimenting with one of these torches is fun and youll learn a lot. I never used a mix like that just regular propane.

I cant believe they sell compressed oxygen for what, 10 dollars a can ?????
When oxygen is free, hell the air is 20% o2...
You might be able to jerry rig a compressed air hook up instead....

In a reaction, the stoichometry is the only thing that matters, compressed air should work in theory, as long as the volume and pressure is adjusted, via experimentation...

Aceteylene is more expensive that propane. Some people have had great luck with compressed air - propane torches, and the operational cost is around 10cents / 3000 btu
versus
acetyelene/map 1 dollar / 3000 btu
Not to mention map gas is not pure aceteylene or C2H2, but rather a blend of x % ch4 and x % C2H2
The trade off though is with propane and compressed air, its trick to braze with it, only heat up work.... the temperature is slightly less hot.
Yea, only problem is that a full sized set up is around 550$ plus refills (airgas is are only supplier)
But im trying to figure out how to hook up a full sized medical oxygen tank (if i can find one)

Plus it takes up almost zero space compared to the fullsize set up

Vikingimike01

I'd say that little setup is waaay more worth it for the causal person than a big machine... I mean its not like you need to use it every single day so...

mark20

its perfect for that.
Yup, if I can find a way to refill those oxygen cans with compressed air or get a old oxygen machine and refill them that way.
But I have to agree, 10$ a can is WAYY over priced for what you get. Since i can get a 40cf tank filled for 20$ and that will last me 40x longer than those little cans Will