heineken keg good or not for gas tank

anthony1973

Local time
9:49 AM
I was curious If anyone has used a heineken or beer keg roughly the one gallon sized party kegs and converted them to gas tanks.I think they are steel and I heard different opinions about them.If these are no good can someone on here lead me to someone who makes 1 gallon custom gas tanks?

Last edited:
They're awfully thin. I'd be afraid of it splitting/spewing gas in the event of an accident. Can you say "Human Torch?"

Last edited:
I thought about using one too. As loquin said, awfully thin.

Maybe if you had a small bladder in there.:unsure:

Anthony DAX has a nice .75 gal tank on his site thats metal.

I thought about using one too. As loquin said, awfully thin.

Maybe if you had a small bladder in there.:unsure:
I did think about drinking 2 kegs and having one split and wrapped around the other and welded.But,It may be too much trouble.Then I got to worry about how to make a gas cap connection.Could cost more than It's worth.

I purchased a number of the 5 litre "mini kegs" at my local brewing supply and successfully used them about five times each. Those kegs are under a considerable amount of pressure during the second ferment, and I've never had a failure.

So long as you've done a good job of sealing the holes (vent at the top and tap at the bottom) I wouldn't think there would be too much risk of a rupture. I guess the wild card would be welding your patches on the thin metal.

Go ahead and weld one up, fill it with water (heavier than gas) and throw it down as hard as you can to see what happens.

Make your life easier go on ebay and get a kart or other small gas tank. I've seen used ones needing some TLC that cost less then a mini keg considering you still would need a petcock and cap etc. I think for practical reasons a rectangular tank is better so you can more easily strap objects on top. The other possible problem with a mini keg is that over time the vibrations could cause stress cracks ( just a guess). If your mind is set on a cylinder shape and custom made look for a used propane or CO2 tank. They are much stronger.

Back