Hello! A plea for assistance!!!

I

Indurt

Hi everyone! I am a very broke student. After scouring the internet for alternative transportation options, I've realized that building a motorized bicycle definitely seems to be the best option for me and my 16 mile commute to school and work everyday. I'm sure that you will agree that if everyone rode one, the world would be a better place.

I've spent the last couple of days obsessively combing through this forum, and I am really excited to see so many experienced and helpful people. I would love to put an engine on my Dahon Espresso 26" as soon as possible. I want to join your ranks and am currently debating what engine to buy. Cost is definitely an issue but I am looking for quality. It seems that the chain and gear kits are better for me (it rains often) and that the four stroke engines are better for the environment. I am definitely interested in the kits available on Ebay because of the cost, but I am tempted to splurge for engines from Golden Eagle, Simpson MotorBikes, station-inc, BikeMotor, or SmallEngineWarehouse

I am not familiar with bicycles and will try my darnedest to make it work out. However, once I receive the kit I doubt my ability to assemble the parts. I've looked at the instructions for numerous engines and mounts and I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. However, I'm not going to let this stop me from making my first build. I know you guys are extremely helpful, and I'd really appreciate the input that I know you guys have.
Thank you so so much!!!

-Confused student

Hi everyone! I am a very broke student. After scouring the internet for alternative transportation options, I've realized that building a motorized bicycle definitely seems to be the best option for me and my 16 mile commute to school and work everyday. I'm sure that you will agree that if everyone rode one, the world would be a better place.

I've spent the last couple of days obsessively combing through this forum, and I am really excited to see so many experienced and helpful people. I would love to put an engine on my Dahon Espresso 26" as soon as possible. I want to join your ranks and am currently debating what engine to buy. Cost is definitely an issue but I am looking for quality. It seems that the chain and gear kits are better for me (it rains often) and that the four stroke engines are better for the environment. I am definitely interested in the kits available on Ebay because of the cost, but I am tempted to splurge for engines from Golden Eagle, Simpson MotorBikes, station-inc, BikeMotor, or SmallEngineWarehouse

I am not familiar with bicycles and will try my darnedest to make it work out. However, once I receive the kit I doubt my ability to assemble the parts. I've looked at the instructions for numerous engines and mounts and I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. However, I'm not going to let this stop me from making my first build. I know you guys are extremely helpful, and I'd really appreciate the input that I know you guys have.
Thank you so so much!!!

-Confused student

when i was 16 and replaced my first motor i didn,t know what i was doing ether.so what i did was get masking tape and labeled each wire, hose,linkage ect.and put it together in reverse order.it worked try this.

bring it on!

...start a "project topic" in the "general discussion" forum as you start to make decisions, journal the build for the next new guy to read...that's how we help each other :)

Indurt said:
I'm sure that you will agree that if everyone rode one, the world would be a better place.
my world is a better place since i started motoredbiking, i tellya wut.

welcome to the MBc :cool:

welcome to Mbc.
You definitely came to the right place to learn anything about everything.

welcome dirt,
i cheated and bought my bike already built. probably spent a bit more money that way but now that i am a mb junkie i am planning to build my dream bike myself.
good luck, there are lots of nice folks here happy to help.

Hey Indurt,

The sideview of your Dahon bike doesn't tell us much, what we need is info/pix of the rearframe. It "looks" good, but seeing the wheel clearance on the rear really helps.

Your riding weight will also help, but the travel distance looks very easy/do-able on a single tank, about .76 cents worth of fuel.

welcome to the group. These motors are not as complicated as some of us make them out to be. A little patience is one of your best tools, and read, read read! You will get tons of support here. You couldn't be in a better place.

Back