Hello All! My Roadbike Moped *Pics!

t14revolution

Local time
7:03 AM
As my first post and introduction I will post a picture of my cool moped!

2 Stroke Cheapy Chinese, with a few rigging and semi-horror stories to come.

Two things I think is unique or have not seen (but please prove me wrong):
- Mounted onto a roadbike
- Lever throttle (not twist)

I've seen mostly motors mounted to mountain and cruisers, and some trikes and low riders, but could not find road bike when searching forums and google.

Also my throttle is not twist handle. I wanted to keep the feel of riding a road bike and worked out that a lever would fit perfectly. I can work the clutch & throttle while at the same time fingering the brakes with my index.

A few things left to work on (putting in new fuel filter, ziptie and mount wires and switch more pretty looking) but other than the small things, it's been running well!

Last edited:
Semi-Horror Story #1

Mounting this thing was challenging. I had a friend help me and we went through all kinds of hmm I think this might be a problem. Well here was the first thing I noticed. Crank clearance. The pedal could not clear perfectly on both sides no matter how we mounted the engine, so we had to shave down one of the crank using a grinder. The left crank clears the engine by about 1-2mm!!

Last edited:
Semi-Horror Story #2

I'm sure most everyone experienced this, but the sprocket that the kit came with did not fit on my rear wheel's hub. It only sank in about 2mm, so I had to carefully grind the inside to have it sit deeper in. This allowed for the chain to clear the frame better and the sprocket to be closer to the spokes.

Last edited:
Semi-Horror Story #5

So, while I was biking the bike start to pop extremely loud. When searching the forums, it pointed to the gasket, but when I checked mine it was fine. Then I looked at the exhaust and @#$%@ nothing was under it anymore. it was missing something. Anyways my friend's solution was a block of wood shaped and a hole drilled (very very snug fit). It seems to be working quite fine for the past few days. I can't remember how the engine sounded like before with stock, but it seems to sound ok now.

Some advice on whether this is safe, acceptable or out right wrong and should be shunned at. Right now we haven't bolted it completely in, since we figured if it fails, the wood would just come flying out. I do know that the exhaust heats up a lot faster then the wood does, so I'm guessing the wood wouldn't shatter or crack the muffler.

We thought of a future fix of getting a really big washer and mounting it at the end with a pipe somehow, but if this set up is ok, then we may just put the pipe into that hold as is and leave it be. this exhaust is a piece of $#%@, can't wait strip the ugly chrome and repaint it..

Last edited:
Semi-Horror Story #6

The tensioner that came with this kit, as you all know, sucks! It created so much unnecessary friction. Well I finally got a chain tool to fit the chain and now the tension is just right and pedaling with motor off is a lot less work now. But my chain needs to clear the frame JUST a little bit more. Sometimes it does during certain rotations cause the sprocket is not perfectly true. Any suggestions on truing the sprocket would help as I can't find anything really detailed. I can't afford to put anymore spacers between the hub and frame, its already at it's safest allowance (in terms of the bolt actually screwing onto the thread to hold my wheel).

Amazingly the scraping of the chain to the frame is not too bad because it still is less friction then when the tensioner was installed. Although at high speeds, a pretty high pitched noise can be heard due to the vibration of the frame.

Our final solution was to pound a dent in the area where the chain is scraping.

Last edited:
Roadies will hate you now.
I think that is so awesome!!!
I like the handlebar thinking!

Welcome to MBc, T14! Sorry about having to edit the image tags, but we don't allow them because of the time the photos take to load for those on dial-up. We have a considerable number of members on dial-up, so in deference to those users we ask that you use links or clickable thumbnails. Thanks!

aww. . I guess 200k per image wasn't optimized enough for 56kers. is there any possible way I could link 5-50kb thumbnails to the full image? that way people can have a preview of what they see before choosing to link to the full? I just hate leaving my posts so lifeless without pictures =/

added: oh wait you do allow thumbnails, alright optimizing time.

Back