Hello all, obviously new. Interested in learning what I dont know!

Razer511

Local time
11:42 AM
And what I don't know is, well, everything! :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, the main reason I'm looking at doing this is because my wife wants me to, she thinks it's the best idea she has ever heard and did not believe me when I said that you could absolutely put a motor on a bike. She thinks it's a great idea, and I get an excuse to have fun too!

Honestly do not even own a bike and have not for quite a while, but I hope to change that and get at least one built, but if I do one then I'll have to get another one for the both of us I'm sure. I've been reading, but I finally joined so I can search easier and try and avoid really, truly dumb questions, but I'm sure I'll slip a few stupid or obvious questions in from time to time!

Now to pick where to start learning and have some fun while doing so. Thanks for the great forum from what I've seen over the last week or so I've been looking around, nice group here it seems.

See you all around the forums!

Believe it or not, the main reason I'm looking at doing this is because my wife wants me to, she thinks it's the best idea she has ever heard...
He shoots... HE SCORES! (crowd cheering noises)
Nothing trumps a wife's OK to build a new toy in my book, not even boys night out or golf weekend.

First things first, what are the laws regarding motorized bikes in Indiana?
Check them out because they vary from state to state.

For example all types are illegal in CA, and here in Arizona you can build your own and operate it with the same laws as if it were a regular bike IF the motor size is 48cc or less, and you operate it at 20MPH or less.

Next, what is your stature and intended terrain?
If you are over 6' like me you want a longer wheel base bike and swept back handlebars.

If you are pretty heavy, think about using a heavier gauge steel frame.

And then there is your budget.
Ohh, that's right, it's a "wife pre-approved" project :smug2:
Nice to meet ya.

questions

Your wife wants you to build one! Does she have a sister?

Welcome aboard

nice... sounds like you got a keeper.

I would start with the bike. Find out what kind you like then figure out a way to motorize it.

I know, my wife approves, it shocked me more than anyone lol!

As far as laws, under 50cc and under 25mph and I'm good to go with a few other caveats. Like the brakes bust be able to skid the tire on flat dry pavement? Never heard that before but understandable, and lights are required if using before dawn or after dusk. Little normal things like that and I'm good to go as far as that. I'm in a college town with about a million bicycle riders all over the place too so at least people are used to seeing them all the time. Not motorized of course, but not too big of a change.

I'm not exactly petite lol, I'm about 6' 3" or so and not sure on weight but 260 or so is a guess. I like the 700 type bikes normally, or the hybrid type comfort bikes but I'll have to see what I want for sure. Harder to find single speed 700s, but I have found a few. Even Walmart has one now and all the online bike places are upset over it I see lol. Open to cruiser type, but still looking around some.

Even wife approved the budget will be low, but I'm not cheaping out so low that I'm unhappy with what I get in the end. I know you get what you pay for, but for a first try I will not go too high in cost.

Thanks to you all for the welcome, I appreciate it! Nice to meet you guys too!

Back