Hello From Dallas, TX

IbrakeforCats

Local time
4:20 AM
Why, I ask you, on this perfectly beautiful Texas day am I inside spending MORE hours reading posts at my computer....?

A. I'm an information junkie
B. Surely the lawn can wait till another day
C. If I get off the computer my cats will get on it
D. No UPS truck in sight.... Dimension Edge says I have to wait till Monday to get the rest of my questions answered and poor me with only a non-motored bike
E. All of the above

So here I sit, 47, female living a very simple lifestyle on my limited income and feeling like I've gotten to know you all very well over the last several days so it would only be polite to introduce myself.

Why I'm here? Birthday was April 8th and completely boring since my 1989 Toyota Corolla with 237,000 miles threw a rod, so on April 9th I decided I needed a present.....

....Ordered a Dahon 26" Espresso with the Happy Honda 35cc 4 stroke engine with the auto engage system from Dimension Edge.

After reading so many sites, I felt this system was simpler and I didn't think my cheap Wal Mart bike was an adequate work place for any new engine so I had to order the whole enchilada (of course).

I know diddly nothing about engines, though I can put in my own electrical and plumbing systems in my house (self taught) so maybe there is hope for me.

This will be my prime source of transportation as I have just about everything I need within 10 miles of my house and most of it way closer. I bought the WalMart bike to see if I could still stay upright and also go forward at the same time (haven't tried it while chewing gum) and discovered that 20 years off a bike and living a sedentary lifestyle translates into burning quads and screaming knees. I actually used to enjoy this? was my thought on my few trips to the grocery store.

However, I recall the freedom and the amazing things you learn about your own neighborhoos from the seat of a bike... so I knew there HAD to be a better solution....

Let's just all think good thoughts about the work load at DE and that they will get to questions and my bike and it will get shipped and I will kiss the UPS driver (he's a friend... I'm not THAT weird) and then I will be able to truly say... I too am a motored bike owner.

And in boring background....I researched cars, I did apply for the $3000 voucher from the state of Texas to replace my car and I did (ugh!) even go to a dealership, but money realities sunk in and I went off on another tangent...scooters and mopeds.

After calling a few local dealers who couldn't answer my questions and reading so much on the laws and requirements (and expenses) I was so eternally grateful to have somehow found your site. I don't plan on getting another car for quite some time so it's you all and me and all my cats and my new bike for eternity.... evil grin.... laughing...

How does that suit ya!

Can't wait to talk to you instead of at you.

Pepper

Welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!
I too am a DE scrubber fan. Dont be afraid to try different sizes of rollers. You will find one that will work for you/speed/weight/bike.
There is not a gob of DE information here but dont worry about asking. They are really easy to install, but you are probably getting one already put together and ready to ride.

Roller sizes

I agree, I didn't find too much about DE (finally figured out how to use "search" instead of reading each post.

To be honest, I didn't even know there were different roller sizes, though I see on my tentative invoice I have something called a driver 150/all weather aggregate 1.50" which I am assuming is a roller. It was one of those Monday questions I still need answered before the bike ships.

Yes, it will be assembed and ready to go. Heavens, I need something to get around on, the learning curve can come later and slower!

Pepper

Great post, and welcome. I live up here on the Red River.
I have been riding motorbikes for three years and they really do save money. A lot of money, and they are fun too. So, your gonna have fun. Also, there are a whole bunch of guys here that know what they are talking about, so you'll find your answers here.

hello

welcome to MBc! Great intro, i knew nothing comming in and i am still not technical but can always try and point you to the right link...this is the home of many answers...i have no knowledge on your engine...please post in the picture gallery so we can see your build...good luck and happy motoring!:D

Hum, not sure if this is the way to reply... Hi Quay! It is a pleasure to meet you. Loved your webpage. I wouldn't have a clue how to build something like that anymore than I'm going to know how to do something for my bike. Gosh, I sure feel more comfortable around bottle baby kittens. Makes e worry that I'm going to be a bad bike Mom.
I loved reading the 12 step confessions...made me feel like my misadventures can be shared and smiled at too (and I'm sure I'll have my share).

Pepper

Great post, and welcome. I live up here on the Red River.
I have been riding motorbikes for three years and they really do save money. A lot of money, and they are fun too. So, your gonna have fun. Also, there are a whole bunch of guys here that know what they are talking about, so you'll find your answers here.

I used to do fossil shark teeth hunting up around the Sherman Dennison area. I keep thinking how fun it would have been to have had a motored bike to go check out back roads.

I am sure I will save money. I finally got to tell one of my best friends about my new adventure and he was calculating up what I will save in gas and insurance a month and he was really impressed.

I think I'm going to need to get together with someone from around here and learn the basics first hand. I realized today that I don't even know how to change a tire or tube and I have no tools. I don't even know how to grease a chain and I certainly wouldn't know what to do if the chain fell off. I'm worried. I read tons, but some things just don't translate from the written word to reality very well.

Pepper

I'm getting tired (too many hours researching motor bike stuff) and worrying a bit about my lack of hands on knowledge. What are you all's suggestions for getting some kind of hands on experience? I just realized that I've never even SEEN a motored bike before, certainly never ridden one. Phew, I must be the newbiest of the newbies.

Pepper

Yeah you gotta watch out for those landsharks. I don't know how the laws are down there, but I don't need a liscense, insurance or anything. I have never been stopped.
All in all they are really pretty simple and easy to maintain. Most of the tires I can let the air out and just twist off, putting them back isn't much harder, there's a knack to it.
I have had a few problems but they are always easily fixed. A screwdriver and a small adjustable wrench might be nice to carry along with a small vise grip.

Back