Hello from Detroit

WisdomWarlord

Local time
6:37 PM
Hello. I'm Jabez. I have a nice older dual suspension Mongoose I got for a steal...because the thing is about wore right out! I'm gonna turn it into a Frankenstein ride. Next month I'm buying all the components off a new Giant from my bike guy. Hydraulic disk brakes, wheels, shifters, derailers, full 30 speed drive train! Literally everything but the actual frame and rear shock. For $350! He wants the fancy suspension frame, but already has better components on his current ride, so i get a sweeeeeet deal and he gets a great frame for less than if he just bought the frame alone.
To that, of course I gotta add an engine, right? That way, I can blame the exhaust fumes when I'm asked why I would desecrate such fine component on such an inferior frame!

Any guy willing to build such a bike is obviously into his own little world, and thinks outside the box. As such, I have some strange ideas on how I want to motorize my ride. Oh, by the way, this bike is going to be my daily driver. It's not a recreational vehicle for me, it's daily transportation for a guy on the edge financially, so it's always a balance between reliability, quality, functionality and frugality.

Thanks
Jabez

Welcome to the forum. We don't build and ride these things for approval from other people. We build them because we just can't quit.

Here are important questions to consider when building for yourself or others:

1) What is the predominant riding terrain?
2) What type of physique does the primary rider have?
3) What will the rider's local laws allow them to have?
(Lookup and personally read these laws.)
4) What kind of bike is being motorized?
5) What is the bike to be used for?
6) How much of a budget is to be used for the build?

Seek the answers to these questions in order to get the most out of the bike you're building. We're here to help with any questions you may have. Good luck with your build.

I too thought outside the box when I built my bike. I put a Staton Inc crank drive system on a Land Rider auto shift bike. I had my critics and still do. However the biggest thing against them is my bike actually works the way it should. Different doesn't mean inferior.

Great points to consider Jerry, thank you. This bike is coming along very nicely. It will be a but heavier than I would have liked, having the engine and frame mods, it looks like I'm adding 35lbs to an already heavy bike. So when its finished, and after I lose the 55 lbs I have to lose, it will be riding a bike that weight 15lbs right now :) Except for the fact that I will be in even better condition then!

So is it ok if I make a thread here as a "journal" of my build, or is that better done in a blog?

If its ok to do one here, is there a layout guide for how you like it done?

Back