Hello from East Central Indiana

brett_maverick

Local time
4:13 AM
Hi All,

I've wanted a motorized bicycle ever since I rode my first Solex bike in the 1970's. I'm currently working on motorizing a Schwinn Sidewinder 26 FS mountain bike. I live in a rural area and commute to my parent's business 28 miles away to help out on the weekends. It's all very safe county roads with little traffic to deal with.

My son whom I bike with often lives an additional 11 miles South of my parent's place. That makes for overheating issues with a 2 stroke engine; and eliminates the possibility of electric power due to range limitations. I am a "consummate tinkerer" and experienced mechanic. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility as far as fabrication and machining.

I am a lifelong civil servant: and don't make a ton of money. The issue of diesel fuel being $4.89 a gallon here: and my one-ton turbo diesel 4x4 pickup truck getting between 8-13 mpg is of great concern. That makes my voluntary (freebie) mechanical work for my parent's car lot very expensive indeed...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brett

Welcome from a fellow Hoosier.

A 4 stroke rack mount sounds like it would be right up your ally. I run a 4 stroke in-frame mount, but I am going for style over function...though it functions pretty darned well.

My Honda 50cc engine lets me cruise at an easy 25-30 mph topping out a over 35, but I would not want to run over 35 for long.

A 50 cc rack would be quite functional and I would think you would want the power of the 50 to get the speed to reduce tht 28 mile trip to a manageable time.

Good luck- you would seem to have a great knowledge base to get into the motorized bike game- being a tinkerer is required. Anyone who is not a tinkerer has to become one soon or give up on this.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm going to Small Engine Warehouse this week to buy the powerplant. The Honda GXH50 for $210.00 sounds like a good place to start. I agree the rear rack mount system is the way for me to go.

Brett

That's exactly what I bought and where I bought it. It is a very good engine.

Back