Hello from Florida Panhandle

cwalker

Local time
6:18 PM
Hello MBc! I am new to the board and new to the hobby. I first saw a motored bike at a campground will camping with my family. I was intrigued with the concept and started researching it online. I love to "tinker" with stuff and I am excited about building a motored bike. Not to mention the rising gas prices are killing me. I only live 4 miles form work so commuting with my new project would be awesome.

I live in Marinna Florida (in the panhandle) and would love any advice and pointer to get me going. I am searching around the thrift stores and garage sales for a bike. Any advice on the best brands to look for (easiest instillation, most durable parts). Also, I am overwhelmed by the selection of kits out there. From eBay, to dedicated websites there seems to be a wide variety of kits to purchase. I want to start with a simple project and then to play the mods down the road.

Thanks for all the help and anyone in my area give me a shout I would love to meet up and check out your projects for some ideas and advise!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gas going up

Hi cwalker I'm new to MBc and Welcome you'll find what you're looking for everything from what type of bike to build to type of motors. I had a problem with my carb, used the search- problem solved. Have Fun!

We always welcome another from the land of Love-bugs. I hope you get your new project going. Have you tried to ride a non-powered bike the 4 miles ? It is an easy distance unless you have physical problems.

I did ride the 4 miles last week. I realized it had been a long time since I rode more than around the block. The last hill liked to killed me and my legs felt like jello. The biggest problem was I felt like I needed to go home and take a shower after the trek. I am hoping the motor powered will allow me to get to work without all the sweat and the ride home can be my daily exercise.

I have been reading and reading in the posts. My biggest question is do I get the motor first then find a bike to fit it, or get the bike and then pick out a motor?

You have a bike already, just get one to fit it!
Welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!

My current bike is a "Next" mountain bike from Walmart. It has the full frame suspension and i don't see how to mount an engine to it. I am searching around for a cruiser style, but live in a small town so there is not alot of choices.

I thought about getting a cruiser from Walmart, but i have read several posts on here talking about how they dont hold up. if i am going to invest the time and money i want something that will last a while.

Thanks for all the great advise. I have been reading and reading over the last few days. I am thinking about getting a 70cc from thatsdax. My question is should I go ahead and order my motor (since the site saysittakes 10 days to ship) or wait and find a bike first. I am currently planning to search out the yard sales and thrift stores in my area. Since I am in a small town there is not a lot to chose from.

Back