Hello From Modesto, California ...

vja4Him

Local time
6:18 AM
Hello -- I'm from Modesto, California. Riding my Electra Townie mostly, sometimes my ancient Mongoose Switchback (17 years old, and still a good ride), to work and running errands/shopping ...

I'm reseraching on what is the best option to motorize my Electra Townie ... and could use some (lots of!) advice ....

-- vja4Him

Welcome to MBc. What do you want to do with the bike? Commute? Trail ride? Cruise for chicks? What are your mechanical skills and background? Those things make a big difference in what you might want to build.

Welcome to MBc. What do you want to do with the bike? Commute? Trail ride? Cruise for chicks? What are your mechanical skills and background? Those things make a big difference in what you might want to build.

Hello Alaskavan -- I have very little mechanical skills, but our neighbor/friend who lives next door is a mechanic and a jack-of-all trades ... She even does engine repair on cars! She is committed to helping me install a motor on my Electra Townie.

I have decided to convert my Townie into an electric bike. My bicycle(s) are my main transportation. Van needs seriouis engine repair. Might tackle that next year ... Not sure.

If I can get a high quality electric motor for my Townie, that will get me around, commuting to work, running errands ... I may quit driving!

I work different job assignments everyday, and have to turn down assignments all the time, because the bus service here is very limited and doesn't go to many schools ....

I would like to be able to pedal my bicycle with the original gears (21-speed) at least 200 miles a month, and use the electric motor probably about another 200 miles a month.

I need to be able to commute 12-15 miles each way, which would allow me to accept many exta job assignments. Also, I need something that will pull the weight (I weigh about 210 ... my backpack is another 10-15 pounds, and groceries will add another 15 pounds, somtimes a bit more).

If I can license my bicycle as a moped, I'd like to be able to ride as fast as 40-45 mph (only for short distances), so that way I could travel on the country roads where the speed limit is 45-55 mph.

I will be needing the extra speed on my bicycle probably two to three days a week, and for shopping (three miles one way). But I still plan on pedaling as much as possible ....

Last edited:
There's people around here that know a lot more about electrics than me, but I would guess that 30 miles between charges and a top speed of 40 - 45 mph will require top of the line equipment. Note: A dismount from a bike at 45mph might result in some injuries.

600W Thunderbolt Electric Motor ...

Hello and Welcome from the hill behind you :D In Sonora

Howdy neighbor ... !!! I just watched a video of someone riding their bicycle with the 600W Thunderbolt electric motor ... !!! Man that looks awesome!!!

Has anyone else rode a bicycle with a motor like the 600W Thunderbolt? I think I could be very happy with something like that ..... And the price is about right.

Back