Hello from San Jose, Ca

• Thread starter Ray In San Jose
  • Start date
GEBE Robin-Subaru 35 cc Experience, 2months 9/21/07

I couldn't figure out how to edit my original Intro post https://motoredbikes.com/threads/hello-from-san-jose-ca.5772/
so I am posting a reply to that entry here. I have been riding my motorized bike for 2 months now. Here are some of my observations -

* Had to change some broken spokes. Eventually, I replaced ALL the cheap stock chome-plated steel spokes with stainless steel spokes. No broken spokes in the last 100 miles. Same 14 gauge 2mm diameter spoke size. Spokes always break where it enters the nipple.
* Bent the solid standard steel axle and replaced it with a cromoly solid axle which is stronger. Found one very inexpensively at the local bike shop (not chain store). No problems in the last 200 miles.
* 1st Kevlar belt broke at 797 miles. The short life could have been due to the troubles I had with broken spokes and bent axles which caused a wobbly rear wheel to ride the brakes...need to monitor the next belt. I bought two replacement belts from GEBE.

My commute is 32 miles round trip with typical terrain varying from -7 degrees to +7 degrees slope. My driveway is 18 degrees. The bike is a GEBE 35cc belt drive with dry centrifugal clutch. It drives the bike and me which totals 210 lbs. In my experience, the bike can climb slopes up to about +5 degrees with just a little pedalling. However, extended distances above 5 degrees require a lot of pedalling help. Being a cyclist, I pedal hard to maintain 20 mph up slopes of 7 degrees in order to stay in the sweet spot of the engine performance. If the bike speed falls too low (15mph), the centrifugal clutch slips and the engine will not transfer full power to the bike anymore. A 10 degree slope requires a lot of pedalling. An 18 degree slope is a walk for me since the bike is moving so slowly that the engine's clutch is in a constant slip state and transfers no power to the wheel. Also, the engine on the back of the bike makes the bike back heavy and one can pop wheelies very easily on 18 degree slopes.

During my commute, I wear an orange safety vest with reflectors. For night riding, I have developed a 15w-20w Halogen front light system ($70), and have xenon strobes that can be used as either turn signals or front/back safety beacons.

I have discarded the tire liners because the end edge gave me a flat (same thing that happened on another non-motored bike that I have!). The new tire is strickly stock - no tire liner, and no slime. I carry an extra tube, wrench, patch kit, and bike pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back