Hello from Santa Cruz

N

npk1977

Just ordered a 48cc kit from Spooky Tooth. Roland was very helpful and I'm very excited :) Living in hilly Santa Cruz, CA, I feel a bit nervous that the bike will not be able to handle my weight AND the hills, we will see. Would be interested to meet others in the area.

I'm very curious about adding a transmission on the gas-powered side of the bike. Perhaps one could design a hub-transmission with sprockets on both sides of the hub. In that way, the person pedaling would drive under the same gear-ratio as the motor. Has some obvious advantages and disadvantages. There is plenty of time to discuss them.

take care
n

hi, npk1977 :)

sounds like we have us another fabricator here...welcome to MBc 8)

Glad you're here, this idea has been floating around a bit and I'm sure with the multiplying minds here something good will come of it.

Welcome to the forum!!! I am in San Luis Obispo. I have a couple of friends that go to school at UCSC. You should be fine with the hills there using a 44t sprocket. Check to see what size sprocket you have. I have a 32t and that sometimes needs a little pedaling boost to get up steep hills. When I had my 44t, I dont think that any hills gave me problems. You can always give it a few quick pedals to give it a boost. Way cool mode of transportation since you can do that.

Hey, WELCOME! Born and raised in San Jose myself, (east side 19th Street at Williams Street Park), then west over on Heppner, John Muir/Pioneer territory.

Our family has that Atkinson Estate Park up on Uvas Creek, about a half mile down below Svedall (sp?), up on the crest of the ridge. Got a real cool cousin living up near there on Uvas Road. That would be a cool place to let those bikes rip and roar, a box canyon, with all those empty mansions that have NO WATER! And her ex runs that huge ranch, Big Bear, near Gilroy.

Transmission

Welcome, I talked to a buy who had a two speed transmission on a modle airplane. a person should be able to make one for a bicycle. I always thought it would be a good idea to free wheel the engine sprocket. Seems like to would be easy. just get one of those flip flop hubs and weld a free wheel with sprocket on it. :)

A selective freewheel that could be locked and unlocked interests me. A freewheel on the engine drive would prevent compression starting the engine. ' not a problem for some engines, but it is for lots of the chinese 2strokes around here.

I'm not sure how one would start a chinese 2 stroke without a compression start. So I don't fully understand the value of a selective freewheel.

Could you explain it to me in more detail (or point me to another post/link that might explain it better.)

Thank you!
n

I'm working on that now, actually. I have a partially built bike that started out as a 24 speed mountain bike. When I am done, it will have 1 speed for the pedals, and 3 for the motor. I am moving the motor chain to the right side so that both the pedals and the motor will be using the right side of the hub. The derailler will be used to move the motor chain between the 3 speeds used for motoring. The pedal chain will no longer shift at all.

With a derailleur on the motor chain, pedal starting it is out of the question, so I have to install a pull-start. To keep the pedals from being pushed while under motor power, a freewheeling sprocket was added over the already freewheeling hub.

The goal with this build is to hit 50mph by having a 3-speed transmission. Nitrous will be added after the motor is broken in, just in case it can't hit 50mph under normal power. If it does, I will shoot for 60mph under nitrous.

Back