hello from the city of angels

knarx

Local time
1:48 PM
Hey Everyone,

I moved out to LA about six months ago, and it's been quite an adjustment. Spending a couple hours a day idling in traffic has gotten tiresome, and after seeing mopeds and motorcycles zip through past me I've gotten the urge to pursue some two-wheeled transportation.

I had my first experience riding a scooter a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. I didn't really have the time or money to pursue a motorcycle license, so I figured I'd just wait it out until my financial situation got a little more stable.

Then I passed by a new shop down the street from my apartment -- Derringer Cycles (www.derringercycles.com). They've been discussed a couple of times on this board. Beautiful looking machines, but way out of my price range. I had never even known there was this whole classification of motorized cycles that didn't require a license. With my interest piqued, I stumbled upon the awesome forum here.

I'm still trying to figure out precisely the direction to go. A co-worker of mine put an electric hub motor on his beach cruiser, which seems like the ideal way to keep the fact that it's motorized low profile. But he's had problems with battery life and range. I've also looked into moped solutions (Honda PA-50s, Puch Maxis, etc), but those can be kind of hard to find.

Building my own seems like an ideal -- not only would I end up with an awesome mode of transportation, but I'd have the satisfaction of putting it together myself. I fixed up an old VW Beetle when I was a teenager, so simple air cooled engines are nothing new to me.

I look forward from learning from all of you and keeping you updated on my progress.

Welcome knarx. Great intro.

I've always liked the original name of Los Angeles El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Angeles del Rio de Porciúncula

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the MBc. We have a place to help you to understand the laws of your state (almost all of them). read, read, read, and don't worry about staying up late cause the lights in here don't keep us awake.

Papa

aw, you called us awesome! We will take that welcome to the tribe from the Giant Side of Texas! You are gonna love your new hobby.

Back