Hello! Modifying mount for a cheap cruiser bike! Should i?

gotcha. I'll need to get a protractor and a level to determine for sure, but the engine i think was about 20 degrees by the eye. I was also going to put the engine on a 21 year old Sun brand cruiser with a 3 speed shimano hub. I didn't do it because the rear hub was skipping gears and DESPERATELY needs a grease change. So i'd prefer to put the engine on a newer cruiser instead of the older one. I just hope that if the new bike doesn't fit, i can at least swap the rear wheels.

The finished bike will hopefully be a fun hobby toy for my partner :) She lives in a medium-sized city and mopeds/bikes are a very favored way to get around because it has a decent amount of lanes and lockup points. Another reason I like keeping the engine in the center of the frame is for balance too. Being top-heavy is always an issue when in traffic. I also test-fitted the engine on the older bike and i can get it to work if i need to, but i'll just trim the choke lever and glue/replace it with a longer one.
0111231032a_HDR.jpg

0111231032_HDR.jpg
Btw nice looking build. You will love it when you are finished building it.

That motor is sitting right at about 20 degrees, maybe a tad less. That puts it right on the edge of acceptable, so it could run and operate without issue, including the carburetor. That being said, if you can find a way to get the motor a bit more level it would be a good idea. What is the current limitation on extending the front or rear mount slides?

That motor is sitting right at about 20 degrees, maybe a tad less. That puts it right on the edge of acceptable, so it could run and operate without issue, including the carburetor. That being said, if you can find a way to get the motor a bit more level it would be a good idea. What is the current limitation on extending the front or rear mount slides?
Cranking is what's going to be the real issue. I live on a hill. My lawn equipment (push & riding mower) cold cranks best on level ground but runs fine once it's going.

engine clearance. The head of the engine, as well as the oil cap and air filter are pressed pretty firmly against the seat tube when i level it out. I can fix the issue by making the bottom tube mount shorter, but i will experiment further with every possible position.

engine clearance. The head of the engine, as well as the oil cap and air filter are pressed pretty firmly against the seat tube when i level it out. I can fix the issue by making the bottom tube mount shorter, but i will experiment further with every possible position.
Can you take your top engine plate mount loose & turn it around 180°degrees & help put the engine mount bolt holes closer to the front down tube, & it will help with engine spacing problems. Or slot your engine mounting plate bolt holes, so you can slide the engine forward. That also will possibly help to level your engine mount more also.

Can you take your top engine plate mount loose & turn it around 180°degrees & help put the engine mount bolt holes closer to the front down tube, & it will help with engine spacing problems. Or slot your engine mounting plate bolt holes, so you can slide the engine forward. That also will possibly help to level your engine mount more also.
engine mount holes are only 1/2 inch long. not a lot of adjustment. After clipping choke and taking off the air filter cover, i can get the engine to fit... barely.. but now the bottom tube is BARELY wider than the mount plate and i fear i just need to dremmel/grind the dang thing to get it to fit. spent like an hour just getting the mount to stay on, and it wasn't even straight all the way because of the ill-fitting mount. other than the air filter, choke, and mount plate, All i need to really do it take off the rear wheel and put the sprocket on... oh and the gas tank too.
0114232152a_HDR.jpg
0114232152_HDR.jpg
0114232150b_HDR.jpg
0114232150_HDR.jpg
0114232150a_HDR.jpg

i completely misread, lmao. But no i can't do that either because the mount holes are identical on each side, plus the cut outs on each side are specific to seat post and bottom tube.

Back