Hello! Modifying mount for a cheap cruiser bike! Should i?

engine mount holes are only 1/2 inch long. not a lot of adjustment. After clipping choke and taking off the air filter cover, i can get the engine to fit... barely.. but now the bottom tube is BARELY wider than the mount plate and i fear i just need to dremmel/grind the dang thing to get it to fit. spent like an hour just getting the mount to stay on, and it wasn't even straight all the way because of the ill-fitting mount. other than the air filter, choke, and mount plate, All i need to really do it take off the rear wheel and put the sprocket on... oh and the gas tank too.
0114232152a_HDR.jpg
0114232152_HDR.jpg
0114232150b_HDR.jpg
0114232150_HDR.jpg
0114232150a_HDR.jpg
Yeah most of the kits I've seen you will have to grind your engine cradle mounts to fit your down tube & seat tube. 1 of my kits even said specifically to grind the mount to fit the frame tubes. They mention if it's not ground to fit, it can cause the bike frame to break/crack at the engine cradle mounting locations.

yup. but other than grinding the mounting place for the tube, i am also going to measure and try to drill new engine plate holes so i can scoot the engine forward 1 or 2 inches. It REALLY needs it.
I was just going to suggest this. If you have the left to right positioning figured out then you can plot a new set of holes easy enough.

This should help with your positioning, and it's not that expensive.

OK, this image says it all.
0114232150b_HDR.jpg

Take your engine plate off and make the notch in the saddle 1-2" more, Remove the mounting screws from the sides and reposition forward.

I would get a new piece of steel for the engine plate, mark and drill for the side screws. For the engine mount holes I'd elongate those so could move the engine for and aft to adjust the chain.

The mount you have has the adjustment slots on the sides, but it is already maxed out, or looks that way. Now that you know where it's centered on the bike you can cut new screw slots for the motor screws so you can move it forward.

This should help with your positioning, and it's not that expensive.
That's just a flat plate, OP needs a piece of channel to mount to saddle.

The forward and sideways holes are slotted and can help with getting his engine moved forward more.
Where are the heads on the bolts going to go? He would have to toss the mount it has and weld that one on. Those plates are made more for builders than to frankinstein a bike mount.

Back