Hello! Modifying mount for a cheap cruiser bike! Should i?

Retsihw

Local time
8:08 AM
I have a Kent Seachange with a 4-stroke motor kit, cheap chinese belt drive.

I see some people have issue mounting the motor to the frame and say they need to make a custom mount for the engine so it can sit just right without much tilt forward or backward. Is it ok to mount the engine with some forward tilt, or should i grind the mount down a bit to make it sit level?
engine is a 49cc.

Pictures will help. You can also do a rear mount as well
20230105_094003~2.jpg
20230105_093946~2.jpg
20230105_121058~2.jpg

Rear mount is an interesting idea, but for now i wanna keep it in the frame for now if possible. I'll send photos when i can. currently away from home.

But aside from that; Should a dremmel and some shims help with mounting the engine?

It all depends on the amount of tilt, if it's less than 20 degrees of tilt it will be no issue, and if you are that concerned about the tilt, you can add just a tiny bit more oil.
gotcha. I'll need to get a protractor and a level to determine for sure, but the engine i think was about 20 degrees by the eye. I was also going to put the engine on a 21 year old Sun brand cruiser with a 3 speed shimano hub. I didn't do it because the rear hub was skipping gears and DESPERATELY needs a grease change. So i'd prefer to put the engine on a newer cruiser instead of the older one. I just hope that if the new bike doesn't fit, i can at least swap the rear wheels.

The finished bike will hopefully be a fun hobby toy for my partner :) She lives in a medium-sized city and mopeds/bikes are a very favored way to get around because it has a decent amount of lanes and lockup points. Another reason I like keeping the engine in the center of the frame is for balance too. Being top-heavy is always an issue when in traffic. I also test-fitted the engine on the older bike and i can get it to work if i need to, but i'll just trim the choke lever and glue/replace it with a longer one.
0111231032a_HDR.jpg

0111231032_HDR.jpg

gotcha. I'll need to get a protractor and a level to determine for sure, but the engine i think was about 20 degrees by the eye. I was also going to put the engine on a 21 year old Sun brand cruiser with a 3 speed shimano hub. I didn't do it because the rear hub was skipping gears and DESPERATELY needs a grease change. So i'd prefer to put the engine on a newer cruiser instead of the older one. I just hope that if the new bike doesn't fit, i can at least swap the rear wheels.

The finished bike will hopefully be a fun hobby toy for my partner :) She lives in a medium-sized city and mopeds/bikes are a very favored way to get around because it has a decent amount of lanes and lockup points. Another reason I like keeping the engine in the center of the frame is for balance too. Being top-heavy is always an issue when in traffic. I also test-fitted the engine on the older bike and i can get it to work if i need to, but i'll just trim the choke lever and glue/replace it with a longer one.
0111231032a_HDR.jpg

0111231032_HDR.jpg
Nice looking bike! The angle your engine is at doesn't look like you'll have any issues. You can buy one of those magnetic angle finders that you can magnet to the engine, I think harbor freight and home Depot have them.
They look like this
swanson-angle-finders-af006m-64_600.jpg

Nice looking bike! The angle your engine is at doesn't look like you'll have any issues. You can buy one of those magnetic angle finders that you can magnet to the engine, I think harbor freight and home Depot have them.
They look like this
View attachment 185282
You can also download protractor apps onto your phone.

0111231032a_HDR.jpg

0111231032_HDR.jpg
I would level that engine more than what you have pictured there. Yes you can run your engine on a tilt, but if all possible I would try & get it more level with ground/floor. It makes it easier for checking & changing your oil if its level. Your engine mount might not be long enough for that style of frame. I lengthened my mount for my bike. Heres a pic of my 4 stroke setup.
20210918_153341.jpg

Back