Hello there.

Peugeot/citroen boy

Local time
11:05 PM
Hi all i just found this forum today and cant wait to find out more about these machines.

i can usually be found working on my beloved Citroen AX's but i also enjoy motorcycles and have quite a few biycles aswell which is what brings me here.

when i left school i worked for a couple of years in a local engineering works that also specialized in the sale of STIHL chainsaws and brushcutters and also Honda lawnmowers and 4-stroke gear, so i have a fair bit of knowledge on these wee engines.
does any one run a STIHL motor?

the cycle i was thinking of converting is a 1979 Peugeot touring frame with high strength Reynolds frame and forks it also has very sturdy Steel touring rims as standard.

can anyone tell me if this would be a good starting point?

i also havent decided if i am to make a custom build or buy a kit. there seem to be a lot of kits online and some seem a bit dodgy.

im lookin forward to reading up on this and exploring the site. thanks.

Welcome to the group. After your intro, start another thread with your bike question.
I agree with SimpleSimon. Posting a photo of your ride would be easier for everyone
to give their opinions on your build. If you cant, search the web for a photo of your
style of bikes. Glad your here.

A reynolds steel bike is certainly sturdy enough. Your back wheel needs to be stronger than a standard road wheel, so the touring wheel may be up to the task. I'd replace the drop handlebars with cruiser of MTB bars. They are safer and more comfortable.
I wish I could have rented a motorized bike when I visited Ireland a few years ago. Riding a tandem bicycle with my wife was tough. Cheers.

thanks for the advice wheelbender. yeah i was goin to replace my bars with a mtb style item.

i hope you enjoyed your trip to Ireland. maybe one day i to can make the trip "over the pond"

i saw a video of Easyrider flying up a hill on his italian 50cc bike. i have decided i want to do the same with a 14 bhp italian Polini engine i have but it is a watercooled engine so will be that bit harder.

i will start a progress thread once i get all the parts rounded up.

thanks

Welcome to the site, sounds like a fantastic project! If you could get a 14bhp polini set up on a bike that would be incredible, would quite easily be the most powerful bike, if not fastest bike on here and probably the world! Look forward to hearing more about your plans, take a look around theres plenty of inspiration to be had in the picture gallery.

Welcome to MBc :)

Fastboy

you have inspired me to become a record breaker lol

i am well used to high speeds and regularily approach 40 mph on my Racer cycle.(downhill)

im sure 70 odd would be exciting. the family member who gave me the 14 hp motor has regularily accheived 80 mph on his polini racing mini moto.

he now races 47 bhp 125cc honda 2 strokes. those things will do 120+ with the right gearing.

you have inspired me to become a record breaker lol

i am well used to high speeds and regularily approach 40 mph on my Racer cycle.(downhill)

im sure 70 odd would be exciting. the family member who gave me the 14 hp motor has regularily accheived 80 mph on his polini racing mini moto.

he now races 47 bhp 125cc honda 2 strokes. those things will do 120+ with the right gearing.

47bhp!! they must be so fun to ride! that powerband must be a screamer lol. Seriously mate if your capable of it then go for it, the fastest bikes on here are 53mph I think. 14bhp will easily see you past that if you get the gearing spot on. It will definetely be the fastest our side of the atlantic!

Back