hello!

B

Bigfoot

Hi :D

I don't have a motorized bike yet :cry:

It seems like a perfect transportation solution for me.I don't have a drivers license, or a vehicle (I'm 31 BTW), & pedal power can only take me so far! :(

For awhile now, I've been thinking of somehow putting a 4-stroke engine into a modified (for off-road)cruiser style bike.I'd rather use a 4-stroke because it's much less polluting, & is somewhat quieter as well, appently.I could be wrong though, because I don't know much about it really.I'll consider a 2-stroke if they're not too bad noise & pollution-wise.

I'm also seriously considering getting my motorcycle license, but these motored bikes are a great idea :D

I'm mainly looking for something reliable to explore local, & not so local trails & mountain roads.I know absolutely nothing about mechanics, or engines, but I figure it might be an interesting project, & an opportunity to learn something new.

I just stumbled onto this forum a few minutes ago- lots of inspiration here! :eek: :cool:

Any ideas about kits available, or design methods/ideas for a powerful off-road cruiser bike (is this possible?) would be appreciated.There are lots of hills/mountains where I live, & not so many cops...this is good :devilish: .

Welcome to the forum! I'm the same age as you, built my motor-assisted cruiser because pedaling on the plains can be a drag, what with the wind and all! I don't have much for hills here in East North Dakota, tho.

IMHO, a Dax 2-stroke would serve you well. A 2-stroke with modern oil is less-polluting than a diesel, and not too much louder than a 4-stroke. They are easy to install, for the most part, but some cruiser frames might require a bit of "finesse-ing" to get the front mount in an ideal position.

If you aren't looking for sustained speeds over 45KM/h, the stock 44T sprocket should be fine while still having good hill-climbing ability. If you need even more hill-climbing power, a 48T sprocket might be better.

Hi SchwinnAlloySeven_GT5 :D

The Dax 70cc would be a good candidate for the engine-probably w/the 48T sprocket-the more power I can get, the better.Is there a trade off when it comes to torque vs. raw speed:? I'm also wondering if there's any part upgrades I might want to think about, for added performance,noise reduction,vibration reduction,etc.

As for the frame, I'm not really set on anything in particular-something w/some nice curves would be good.I'm just kinda looking for the engine+bicycle to "blend" together nicely.I'm also thinking about the fact that I don't know much about how to customize frames to fit an engine, so any frame that can fit perfectly w/the Dax w/out much messing around would be good as well.

There's a company in Canada that sells Skyhawk engines [edit-I just noticed you avatar :) ] similar to the Dax-they're a little more pricey, although they do have an 80cc version of a 2-stroke engine, so it might just be a price-power tradeoff.I'll post the link in my next post, due to the link thing rule.

Big, unless something has changed, the 80cc kits are really 70cc kits, which are 67 point something cc kits. Dax kits are highly recommended.

Not a lot of things you can do to these engines for "more power" other than to open up the exhaust a little and fit a better carb (which BTW is the only Skyhawk "upgrade" other than the air filter I see that's really an upgrade.

These engines do make about 4 times the power of a human, which is what powers most bicycles, so you have a huge power advantage over most "regular" bikes.

The 48T sprocket will drop your speed and fuel efficiency a little but give you more acceleration and hill climbing ability. Things get pretty hairy on a bike at 35 mph anyhow......

Bikeguy Joe said:
Big, unless something has changed, the 80cc kits are really 70cc kits, which are 67 point something cc kits. Dax kits are highly recommended.

Not a lot of things you can do to these engines for "more power" other than to open up the exhaust a little and fit a better carb (which BTW is the only Skyhawk "upgrade" other than the air filter I see that's really an upgrade.

These engines do make about 4 times the power of a human, which is what powers most bicycles, so you have a huge power advantage over most "regular" bikes.

The 48T sprocket will drop your speed and fuel efficiency a little but give you more acceleration and hill climbing ability. Things get pretty hairy on a bike at 35 mph anyhow......

Thanks for the info! I'm a real newbe when it comes to this stuff, but I gotta start somewhere I guess.I could always experiment w/both sprockets, although I need to take into account the fact that I'm only 140lbs-so the 44T sprocket might work just fine. :???:

[edit]I just read that Bird used a 36 sprocket, & it added about 20mph :eek:

He was doing 38 uphill! :D

I also just noticed that Dax only ships to the U.S. .I might have to go w/Skyhawk, which is ok.

I went up same mountain as bird, my bike probably weighs twice as much, but I have a 48 toother...
never pedaled once and I was only 10-15 mins behind (over a 24 mile course), while they where pedaling their behinds off !!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

azkronic said:
I went up same mountain as bird, my bike probably weighs twice as much, but I have a 48 toother...
never pedaled once and I was only 10-15 mins behind (over a 24 mile course), while they where pedaling their behinds off !!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

122_Kronic_Signature_1.jpg

:LOL: I think I'll stick w/the 48! :eek:

locoWelder said:
Welcome to the forum!

Thank you-I'm DYING to get out into those hills!

I'll probably go w/a new Schwinn cruiser for the frame.Engine-wise, I'll have to see who ships to Canada, or stick w/the SkyhawkCanada website.

Back