Hello

B

Bergie

I'm new to this forum. I've been complete bicycle freak since I rode my first two-wheeler at age 4. Now age 52, I've got a teenage son with the same bike obsession. Over all those years of riding, I've always wanted to build my own motorized bike. Now is as good a time as any.

Mechanical Experience: I'm a fairly decent mechanic. I've built up several bikes, including designing and/or fabricating some of my own parts. I've worked on engines before. The single most challenging thing in that regard was rebuilding the cylinder head on my wife's late lamented Peugeot diesel - 22 head bolts, banjo oil connections, in short, a bit of a nightmare. We got another two years out of it before something else blew up... but I digress. My experience with motorized bikes consists of riding a Solex back in the day, and riding and repairing my father-in-law's bike with a Puch integrated 2-stroke drive unit. I'm hoping to learn here and tap into this knowledge base as I attempt to build my own motorized bike.

What I currently have: Several potential "donor" bikes. A brand new 4 stroke Ryobi engine. Tools and a MIG welder.

Forum Experience: I belong to, and post on, several other forums, but I'm not an expert. I'll read the FAQ's, I'll try to post in the right place, and as hard as it is for me, I'll try to stay on track and not to shoot off on too many tangents. If I make a mistake in the forum's methods of posting etiquette, please forgive me - it won't be intentional.

Byo Mig

fetor56,

You're more than welcome to come use the welder, although the trip would be a bit of a haul. Seems like quite a few Aussies on the forum. I had the good fortune to marry one from Melbourne. Next time we come down, I'll see if QANTAS will let me throw the MIG in my luggage and I'll let you have a go.

Back