Votes: 15 5.2%
  • for long rides or in heavy traffic

Votes: 27 9.4%
  • from now on i will

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • i do not vote in polls

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
I've got that organ donor sticker on my driver's liscense, but I'm not ready to part with any of them yet.

only requirement in Omaha Ne for motor assist bicycle is a helmet. :(. so yip i wear one. ;)

Way back in 1969 when I was a teen I had a 650 triumph . Maryland did not have a helmet law at the time but one day I went into the bike shop to get a carb kit and saw a poster advertisement on the wall that was of a broken egg. At the bottom it said " All the Kings horses and all the Kings men" Please wear a helmet! .....Somehow that got to me and I laid down 40 bucks for a new Bell helmet the one with the stars and stripes. Man I thought I was to cool. I still have that old helmet in my moms attic. Anyhow I've always worn one from that day on.....T in WV

Helmets save lives!

I spent several hours in the emergency room last night after getting a call that my best friend was in an accident. He was on his MBc and from I have been able to piece together ran off the road and into an irrigation ditch. His face was pretty mangled, but you could see on his forehead where the the helmet was, like some one drew a line, a road rash line.

The doctors repeated how lucky he was to have been wearing his brain bucket.

There are so many crappy drivers here in Calif. that you'd be a fool not to wear one.
Sometimes I don't.

Truthfully, I never used to ride with a helmet but here in Charlottesville, they made it a city ordinance that even to ride a bicycle you have to have a helmet so now I do ....While I realize that it is in my own best interest to be safe (I wear seatbelts when driving) I almost hate it sometimes when it is forced upon us....Oh well that's life.
Andrew

PS - I don't ride along busy streets....too worried about crazy drivers!

Truthfully, I never used to ride with a helmet but here in Charlottesville, they made it a city ordinance that even to ride a bicycle you have to have a helmet so now I do ....While I realize that it is in my own best interest to be safe (I wear seatbelts when driving) I almost hate it sometimes when it is forced upon us....Oh well that's life.
Andrew

PS - I don't ride along busy streets....too worried about crazy drivers!

My feelings exactly. I think seat belts and helmets are a good idea, but laws and fines are a bad idea. A mechanic friend of mine got a $120.00 seat belt ticket for backing a car out of his shop, and parking it on the street. Probably moved about 100 feet, and about 30 of that was on a street, in reverse. :eek: He took it to court......and lost. Geez, what ever happened to common sense. I see it as an income producing thing.

Denny

Years back I used to wear a helmet all the time while riding non-engine bicycles, now don't ever. That's mostly riding on a recumbent bike--which is far less likely to flip over forward from braking or striking an object (which I feel is a HUGE safety improvement over an upright bicycle).

So far, haven't been wearing one while motor-biking either.

I only ride in rural areas however--I tend to stay away from car traffic whenever possible. Most on-road bicycle crashes involve cars one way or another, so if you can stay away from them, you're dodging most of the problem already.

-----

If you bother to wear any helmet, get a skateboarding helmet, or better yet a real motorcycle helmet. Bicycle helmets are built to such low crash standards that it's very debatable if they help prevent much serious injury at all.
~

Back