HELP!air leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
air leaks?

ok. just talked to spookytooth's wrench, fred, and he says that alot of newer engines have been running into these problems like mine, and the fixes are these: set the needle clip to the third position down (which i did, and runs quite a bit better, but not perfect yet)and copper-coat the head gasket, and torque the head back on at 10-15 ft-lbs. once i do the last part, i'll post the results.

Has any of this helped??? I am looking for insight to why my bike is running soo poopie as well. I haven't checked the lower jug gasket yet. if you spray carb cleaner where you think the leak may be coming from and the RPM's change, does it go up, or does it go down? Is it safe to spray carb cleaner on a running motor?

Ben

ibeenjammin said:
if you spray carb cleaner where you think the leak may be coming from and the RPM's change, does it go up, or does it go down? Is it safe to spray carb cleaner on a running motor?

Ben

Depends what you spray, but it will definitely change the way it sounds/runs.

Spary away, just don't get the engine too hot before you spray.

ibeenjammin said:
Has any of this helped??? Ben
! Oh crud, Ben...i totally forgot to update this thread :/ . Here's the deal w/that-
I set the idle high, and sprayed brake wash all over that motor, and revs neither went up or down. Gave the motor to a wrench, and it drove him bonkers :censored: too, trying to find the 'point of suck'. Here's what he did (this is second-hand info...i wasn't there). He says the spark plug threads on top of jug match up perfectly with regular air hose fittings. Screwed the hose into spark plug hole at top of jug , set PSI between 30-40lbs, took off magneto and clutch covers, and found the leak. A magneto bolt-hole? maybe? was drilled too deep at the factory :eek: .
The air pressure will push the piston down, and you have to put your finger over the bottom of muffler.
On a different motor when I sprayed brake cleaner, even at high idle, the motor died everytime i hit the bottom jug gasket and carb/intake connection. That motor is sitting in a box until i decide to play w/it

wow !!!

The Factory drilled too deep? Leak in the lower end? wow !! I am not sure I would have every figured that one out. It would seem that if they did drill to far, once you put a bolt in that drilled and tapped hole it would have sealed it well enough not to cause such a problem. But..Non the less. An interesting find for sure. Still not sure how it could leak with the mounting bolt in the drilled hole. O well.. Enjoy the ride...

I dont know, Dax. like i said, i wasnt there, and didnt get it shown to me. Call SpookyT. he can explain it 8) 8)
And i think its a cool little diagnostic tool...using the air hose into the sparkplug threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back