Help change MB laws in the US(sort of)

The archives here from the old days are full of sayings like 'if you cannot regulate yourselves, you will be regulated upon'. Given the human condition, the later will usually prevail.

Problems are instigated regulation wise when mission creep sets in to turn MABs into fake motorcycles, a not so thinly veiled attempt to build a cheap contrivance of dubious build quality that skirts the law, license fees, liability and regulation of a whole vehicle class. Some of the "cry freedom" types can yammer all they want but no one is fooled if they're just posers and they want it both ways: they really want a motorcycle but they think they're fooling everyone by being cheap and shirking the responsibility of owning one.

And more power to them, I admire those who skirt EVERY useless law they can get away with.The GEBE literally won't go unless I pedal up, easy to prove it a bike, have a cop get on and let him strip the belt/break some spokes and go no where.It's a bike, screw the system, same footprint without the motor.

My hardline way says all these stupid safety laws only erode society further.Put people on autopilot, they raise their kids hands-off (AKA not teaching them to be good drivers/skaters/bikers)
so it goes.If you wrap the world or yourself in nerf you kill natural selection, dumbing down the pool, having to make a new law for the new "dumb", p.i.s.s.i.n.g off people who were raised properly in regards to safety/common-sense/consideration of others.
Not to mention the death of a cultures style.A large handful of people died from the "suicide door" but no more than die falling on stairs.Being considerate, a little common sense, knowing how to drive and maintain your vehicle trumps, "antilock-brakes/seatbelts/helmets/airbags/onstar/d.u.m.b.a.s.s bike laws".
It will only get worse and people will more and more confuse law with morality.

Last edited:
A 'useless' law to one might make ultimate sense to another. No one gets to be final arbiter on what to think or what makes something "useless" but that's why discussions usually devolve into subjective rhetoric, anecdotal exaggeration and mere opinion.

EDIT: and occasionally ad hominem attacks, lol.

Last edited:
A 'useless' law to one might make ultimate sense to another. No one gets to be final arbiter on what to think or what makes something "useless" but that's why discussions usually devolve into subjective rhetoric, anecdotal exaggeration and mere opinion.

Whatever, I'll do my own thinking.Notice how you, like "Olbobma" know what people think/want and do.You said because I built an MAB I wanted a motorcycle, nice broad assumption that could be called:
"subjective rhetoric, anecdotal exaggeration and mere opinion" your words, your actions.In that I'm considering that you may BE "Oldbobma".
Richard, do you own an MAB??

that's why discussions usually devolve into subjective rhetoric, anecdotal exaggeration and mere opinion.

Thanks for proving my point, lol.

Whatever, I'll do my own thinking.Notice how you, like "Olbobma" know what people think/want and do.You said because I built an MAB I wanted a motorcycle, nice broad assumption that could be called:
"subjective rhetoric, anecdotal exaggeration and mere opinion" your words, your actions.In that I'm considering that you may BE "Oldbobma".

Thanks for proving my point, lol.

Always glad to share a smile.So you didn't say people with MAB's want motorcycles?I think the sentence had "cry freedom types can yammer all they want,...blah blah blah.It's up there to read if you forgot.
Nice skirt of the question,... what kind of bike do you have?I'm seriously curious.

When quoting someone it might be suggested to quote them in entirety. If the shoe fits..........

The archives here from the old days are full of sayings like 'if you cannot regulate yourselves, you will be regulated upon'. Given the human condition, the later will usually prevail.

The idea of a MAB, motor assisted bicycle, is a great concept, affording a cyclist up to 2 HP (1500 watts) of assist in a majority of jurisdictions. A small, efficient, quiet, unobtrusive power source added to a lightweight bicycle frame is a gift in added efficiency. It can be made to adapt to be within the design parameters of the original bicycle and to inhibit as little as possible the original functionality of that bicycle. It's a sweet idea but only if a certain restraint is used, IE: keep it light, original and looking as much like a bicycle as possible and leave it at that.

Problems are instigated regulation wise when mission creep sets in to turn MABs into fake motorcycles, a not so thinly veiled attempt to build a cheap contrivance of dubious build quality that skirts the law, license fees, liability and regulation of a whole vehicle class. Some of the "cry freedom" types can yammer all they want but no one is fooled if they're just posers and they want it both ways: they really want a motorcycle but they think they're fooling everyone by being cheap and shirking the responsibility of owning one.

I didn't think it would be necessary but I guess I should edit in more mundane, typical internet behavior to the list.

EDIT: and occasionally ad hominem attacks, lol.

Sorry, but just like not being the final arbiter of opinion, you don't get to dictate what gets discussed.

Always glad to share a smile.So you didn't say people with MAB's want motorcycles?I think the sentence had "cry freedom types can yammer all they want,...blah blah blah.It's up there to read if you forgot.
Nice skirt of the question,... what kind of bike do you have?I'm seriously curious.

BTW, no skirting of anything on my part, I have nothing nada zilch I owe to, need to nor have to prove to you or anyone else......other than perhaps out of courtesy not hijacking this thread any further.

Last edited:
BA HA HA! I receive laughter ten-fold."PERSONAL ATTACKS", like when you said to me "or maybe you don't like girls" in another thread, in hopes of playing on others homosexual fears in order to sway them from MAB's, under the guise of "kidding".
I've not even looked yet, but you quoted "look at the archives, someone said regulate yourselves, or be regulated".Dollars to doughnuts it's Oldbob, see the correlations I'm making?
Gonna have to start comparing bob/rich posts, personality always shows in writing.
MAN I want to see your bike.

BA HA HA! I receive laughter ten-fold."PERSONAL ATTACKS", like when you said to me "or maybe you don't like girls" in another thread, in hopes of playing on others homosexual fears in order to sway them from MAB's, under the guise of "kidding".
I've not even looked yet, but you quoted "look at the archives, someone said regulate yourselves, or be regulated".Dollars to doughnuts it's Oldbob, see the correlations I'm making?
Gonna have to start comparing bob/rich posts, personality always shows in writing.
MAN I want to see your bike.

Man, I don't remember ever reading anything by you. You obviously must enjoy hanging out on forums, get off on arguing and holding grudges against anonymous strangers you've never met. Have fun with that "life".

Cry Freedom, lmao

Last edited:
Spin and misdirect all you like.I tend to remember, regardless of time lapse, whenever someone calls me a *** or is an overt ****,... I'm funny that way.

Pulling a comment out of context without the thread link that it was in? Seems like you're taking things on the 'net waaaaay too personal. Look for your enemies elsewhere. Still got a problem? Send a PM rather than clutter up a thread with imagined personal grudges.

Last edited:
Back