Help choosing a motor to get to the beach with my surfboard?

Franky oh

Local time
6:49 PM
I've been toying with this idea for a while and just today decided to do it. There's a pretty good amount of uphill on the way home. Not too bad of a hill but enough to make me not want to bike it. I weigh 180 pounds and my heaviest surfboard is somewhere between 20-30 pounds. My wetsuit is probably another 5 punds so we are looking at about 215 total weight (generous estimate) plus bike. From what I've seen, about 2 HP is probably enough? The bike I was planning on using has a hub brake. Will that cause any issues? I also have an old hard tail mountain bike that I could use (might be the better option in case I have to pedal it)

Thanks for any and all help! Can't wait to get this project going!

Can anyone recommend a seller that i can get a kit from? I was told to go to bikeberry.com by a friend

does this look decent enough? http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine...2-stroke.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

this is on my local craigslist https://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/d/cc-bike-bicycle-engine/6315771878.html
what else should i buy to get it going? do they require special oil or anything?

Last edited:
I have seen one example of a surfboard carrying bike on here.
277.jpg

That one was a two stroke engine.
The four stroke is wider and requires the use of wide cranks that I don't personally like the idea of, but I should think either engine is perfectly capable of handling the hills if geared correctly. :)

- common HS-142F kits are 1.5HP and the 79cc Predator kit is 3.5HP
- for hills you will want 50T (50 teeth) plus sprocket
- 4-strokes are wider and taller than 2-strokes so the HS-142F will not fit on your mountain bike but with the gas tank removed the 79cc Predator might fit the mountain bike (look for sizing charts before deciding)
- get front brakes if using a hub brake for your safety
- many type of HS-142F kits with varying prices; two type of shaft types : taper and straight, so the gear reduction box is not interchangable between the two types

Back