Help! I tightenend a nut too much and now the threads snapped!

Well, for the OP's information, the order I put in to UK Bolt didn't arrive.
The email I got from them regarding the status of the package raised more questions than it answered.
I don't know if it's too late now but I am recommending to NOT order from them as I did until I am able to say this has been sorted out. :(

I don't know where else to get M8 fine pitch studs in the UK so my build is currently stuck.
Stuck like a dead duck in sticky muck. :(:(:(
ordering bolts and studs etc from ebay will be far more costly than going to an engineering store , next time i'm there i'll see if they have fine pitch m8 threaded rod , i know a 1metre length of normal pitch (1.25) was only €5 because i recently bought a length of m6 and that was €2 something .

ordering bolts and studs etc from ebay will be far more costly than going to an engineering store , next time i'm there i'll see if they have fine pitch m8 threaded rod , i know a 1metre length of normal pitch (1.25) was only €5 because i recently bought a length of m6 and that was €2 something .
It wasn't even eBay. Couldn't find any fine thread M8, grade/class 8.8 on eBay and eventually found that site that sells the smaller length studs at normal consumer quantities and without any huge shipping charge for the 1 metre lengths. Thanks, I'd appreciate your help finding the right hardware. :)
If we had any local engineers' stores I'd have gone there of course. You could probably do a little business selling upgrade studs for these if you want to and can cut them without too much fuss. :)

If I were you id explore the option if a course thread helicoil kit in the size you need is cheaper/easier, m8 with such a fine thread is pretty uncommon, the only place I found anything was by luck at Lowe's, they had a non-acorn style nut that would fit the only fine thread head bolts on an engine I had.
Here in Canada we have Princess Auto witch is the same as Harbour Freight and many of the products are the same just branded differently anyway they have this heli coil kit that is 6mm x 1.0,8mm x 1.0,10mm x 1.25 and 25 heli coil each size was only 20 bucks and works great!I have this zeda 48 jug that the previous owner had sheared both exhaust studs and tried to drill them with no success and just made a mess of!Well I took my time and started with a 1/8th dirll bit after punching a center mark then drilled with 4 bits staging up to 6mm tapped it for the 6mm heli coil and done beautiful saved the jug! Also had to do one of the mounting studs!the first pic of stud holes shows some of the previous owners attempt at drilling and the next pic is after I cleaned it up!

Attachments

• 2017-03-29 23.13.48.jpg
    2017-03-29 23.13.48.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 2017-03-29 23.14.13.jpg
    2017-03-29 23.14.13.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 221
  • 2017-03-29 23.15.27.jpg
    2017-03-29 23.15.27.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 2017-03-30 02.08.04.jpg
    2017-03-30 02.08.04.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 208
Well, for the OP's information, the order I put in to UK Bolt didn't arrive.
The email I got from them regarding the status of the package raised more questions than it answered.
I don't know if it's too late now but I am recommending to NOT order from them as I did until I am able to say this has been sorted out. :(

I don't know where else to get M8 fine pitch studs in the UK so my build is currently stuck.
Stuck like a dead duck in sticky muck. :(:(:(
I have been promised an overnight courier delivery to arrive tomorrow so we will soon see if I was right or wrong to be directing the OP to this business..
but, fingers crossed, I should be able to confirm tomorrow that we do have a decent mail order UK source of M8 fine thread 8.8 head studs for the eBay/ generic non-Grubee engine. :)
OP hasn't come back to the thread which is slightly worrying. Hopefully he got his studs already and has been busy building his bike back up and riding nuts off it, figuratively speaking. :)

I am > < this close to :mad:ing giving up. I'm trying not to write a venting post and stick to the facts. Ugh. Okay there's TEN millimetres in a centimetre.
So why the :mad: are there only eight :mad:ing threads per centimetre on my M8 1mm fine thread pitch studs that I waited eleven :mad:ing days for?
Is not what I said in the email. God I hate being polite in the email. I just want to let loose on the incompetent :mad:holes.
Angry right now. :oops:
No wonder the OP didn't come back after I posted links to these :mad:heads web store. Sorry Nahom. and sorry all the little forum lurkers. :(:oops:

** This thread is over three years old now but I feel I should conclude with what I did to fix the issue...

I bought an M8 (coarse, aka standard metric thread) helicoil kit or similar thread repair product.
I drilled out the fine thread from the crankcase holes with the drill bit provided, and tapped them for the coils with the tap provided. I put a little red loctite in the case threads, inserted the coils and left it for 24hrs.
Then I applied blue loctite on the coarse threads of the cylinder studs which I screwed in until just snug then back out half a turn.
No loctite or anything on the head nuts. Tightened to 18Nm, iirc. Worked okay. 😅
It was annoyingly expensive and it took farrr too 😭 long due to ordering parts waiting for those parts and then needing to order more 🤮 parts and waiting for those to 😴 turn up so I can do the next tiny little 💩 bit of my build.
Got there in the end, though. 😅

Last edited:
Back