Help! I want to go uphill

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjones

Local time
3:32 AM
I need help. I have built two motorized bicycles since April of this year. The first a frame mount Honda gxh50 with a Grubee gearbox on a Schwinn cruiser frame. The second I put together this week, a RAW 50cc 2 stroke. The typical chinese HT motor as far as I can tell.

I live in the Blue Ridge mountains near Boone, NC. The elevation is 4700 ft. In other words I live in hilly terrain. I started with 44T sprocket which was useless anywhere but on flat surface. I traded my 44T for a 56T and things were better. At least I could go to town and back on the paved road without too much pedaling but there was still no way it would go up my driveway and some of the roads around here without me doing most of the work. I was at my brother's a few weeks ago and he gave me an old schwinn exercise bike that had a 65T chainring which I immediately saw as my next rear sprocket. I drilled the 9 holes and installed. I thought I would be able to climb any hill a car would go up but was wrong again. It was better but still not enough. I installed the HT engine yesterday and put the rear wheel with the 65T on. The kit came with a 44T so I figured the 65T would climb a tree. Wrong again. I thought the Honda was weak. it reminded me of the Honda when I had the 44T on it. I had to pedal up all but the slightest of hills.

Has anyone else living in the hills had this trouble? Is there a remedy to this problem? I don't care about speed as much as pulling power. I'm thinking about a 24" wheel next.. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Some of you may be thinking the hills here are steeper than they are. I can pedal up my driveway on my old Motobecane Mirage. I haven't had a car yet that wouldn't come right on up the to the house. BTW I weigh 190 lbs.

Last edited:
I think you just need to wait until the engine is broken in. On mine there was a drastic increase in power after a couple of tanks of gas. I also dont need to go fast and am running a 50t rear sprocket with a 48cc engine. Good luck....

Hmmm.....could be that your altitude is sapping a fair amount of power too....Have you read your sparkplug to see how the mixture is (You may be running rich since you are so high up)....

Break in will help BUT I would imagine that even the small HT engine should have enough power to motivate the bike up some degree of hill with the 44T...

Hope this help you.

Andrew

I was just curious to see how much power would be lost due to altitude and on several sites people seemed to say you will have approximately a 20% loss of power due to your 4700' of altitude...

Even though the engine is small, a stock geared engine should be able to pull some minor hills without problems....I mean when you went to 65T you should have been able to climb pretty steep hills with relative ease (not fast tho because of the low gearing).....

Despite the "newness" of the engine I would suspect something is "up"......Unless you are used to riding a Ninja or something! ;-O

Andrew

these bikes are pedal assist u need 2 use your pedals
on a cruser u only have 1 gear try ur setup on a mountain bike then u will b able 2 pedal with it with gears [not shifter kit] 2 keep momentum
shifter kits my mates bought they have sold on.
when trying 2 climb hills have not found rite and all that was said by person above was use a different front chainring on cranks increased size but all this will do is increase the load u have 2 put at the pedal crank

Last edited by a moderator:
going uphill

I don't think the "shift kit" (if it's the jack shaft kit Sick Bike Parts is selling) would gear bike any lower than it is. As far as my pedal gearing it is mountain bike gearing. I have a 28/38 chainring with a seven speed cassette on the rear. The frame is a Schwinn Deluxe 7. I don't want to pedal. Why bother with an engine if you have to pedal. The advertisements don't say anything about having to pedal, other than starting off. I probably do loose about a third of a horsepower to the altitude. I changed the main jet to one for 4000 to 8000 ft. It runs better on the top end. Still doesn't have any low end grunt. The HT seems to have a little more chugging power but just when I think it's starting to really pull there's nothing left. I am use to a ninja but I do know the difference between 20 and 2 hp. I bought two of the RAW motors I tried them both. I thought I'd build one to sell. I guess I put about 10 miles on each. They pretty much feel the same. I checked the plug after and it was dry but dark. I wish I knew for sure that there wasn't anything wrong with the engines.

Thanks for all the replies

Last edited:
As far as my pedal gearing it is mountain bike gearing. I have a 28/38 chainring with a seven speed cassette on the rear. The frame is a Schwinn Deluxe 7. I don't want to pedal. Why bother with an engine if you have to pedal. The advertisements don't say anything about having to pedal, .

Thanks for all the replies

your post said it all
GO AND GET A MOTORBIKE
NOT A MOTOREDBIKE
PEDDELING REQUIRED ESPECIALLY UP HILLS
dont know who told u no peddling required

Last edited by a moderator:
What you want is a 6.5hp push trailer attached to your bicycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back