Help identify make/model of 2-Stroke engine

It's silicon carbide, an ultra hard ceramic, that gets dissolved into molten nickel. The nickel, being conductive, can be electroplated on to the aluminum cylinder. Basically, the nickel is only there to act as a matrix that allows the silicon carbide to adhere. The nickel being the main weakness of the entire thing
Is the ceramic lining in our Phantoms the same, or different???...If different, how so???

Is the ceramic lining in our Phantoms the same, or different???...If different, how so???
It's different. Silicon Carbide is black. As for what specific ceramic they used, no idea.

Most likely applied with a molten spray transfer technique since the combustion chamber is not coated and has signs of overspray along the perimeter. Another clue is the.honing marks and cross hatching vs a polish often seen on electroplating, which tends to be more even in application.

Just a guess. I could be entirely wrong.

It's not silicone, it's silicon. Nickle and Silicon will react with each other crating the coating. I actually enjoyed chemistry class 😆
I literally just described what it is and how it's made in the post right before yours...

It's silicon carbide, an ultra hard ceramic, that gets dissolved into molten nickel. The nickel, being conductive, can be electroplated on to the aluminum cylinder. Basically, the nickel is only there to act as a matrix that allows the silicon carbide to adhere. The nickel being the main weakness of the entire thing
Ok.. There's a lot in common between the two being the synthetic silicone is derived from the natural occurring silicon. I was simply conveying what I knew of it and pointing out the timespan of several years before the actual cause of engine failure was solved. I'm sure that situation cost Bayerische Motoren Werke huge amounts of money in warranty claims as well as loss from their flagship vehicles not selling.

Back