Help identify make/model of 2-Stroke engine

I don't think the bike and engine were sold together, that engine probably came as an add on to any bike. What is the drive system, two gears, or two sprockets and a chain? The hub and/or wheel might have been part of the package.

Cool bike. I've never seen anything like it except for a Briggs and Stratton motor wheel 😂. I'm looking forward to seeing it when you've put it all back together.

Looks like it might be a kit with wheel to add to a bike, not sure. It is way cool though. Funny can't come up with anything on search.

I don't think the bike and engine were sold together, that engine probably came as an add on to any bike. What is the drive system, two gears, or two sprockets and a chain? The hub and/or wheel might have been part of the package.
I had this same thought. The engine and wheel combo look like an aftermarket combination designed to be installed on any bicycle to convert it to powered use. Basically a 2 stroke version of a modern eBike hub motor wheel kit.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm pretty sure, as you have pointed out, that the motor/rear wheel has been added to an existing bicycle. The drive is a single sprocket, on the rear wheel, without any form of gears. I will take the motor to a local small engine repairer and see if it can be repaired as it will definitely need a new piston, as I believe the previous owner ran it without correct oil mix in the fuel. In the meantime I will continue to restore the bike frame. I'll post some photos of the finished bike and motor (provided the motor is repairable), and can't wait to take it for a spin.

Not sure what you're talking about there, Italian made case induction 2t with pumper carb. No kind of valve is needed.

OP said direct drive to rear wheel.

Probably chrome plated inside the cylinder, so honing or boring is just going to wreck it. Besides, it's probably perfect inside.
Yes, that chrome plating does not wear like common bore. BMW had a specoal coating om cylinders back in 2000 or so. NIKASIL or something like that. It turns out North American fuel with its sulfur content. Did not work well with that, and they would have many, many problems of no. Start burning the oil all kinds of stuff. But over a Europe with their different crude oil. They have no problem. Took a couple years to figure that out.

Yes, that chrome plating does not wear like common bore. BMW had a specoal coating om cylinders back in 2000 or so. NIKSILA or something like that. It turns out North American fuel with its sulfur content. Did not work well with that, and they would have many, many problems of no. Start burning the oil all kinds of stuff. But over a Europe with their different crude oil. They have no problem. Took a couple years to figure that out.
Nikasil, developed by Mahle in the late 60's, initially for wankel engine housings. It's an interesting material. Silicon Carbide is dissolved into molten nickel so that it can be electroplated to aluminum. The nickel on the outer surface is somewhat sacrificial during the operation of the engine as it wears away, but the silicon carbide, a very hard ceramic, stays behind.

Yes, sulfur present in most fuels even 20 or so years age created small amounts of sulfuric acid during combustion that ate away at the coating and eventually lead to failure. Thankfully, most modern fuels have almost no sulfur in them these days.

Ues my 7 Siri's had that.Nicosil coating. Nickel and silicone in the mix somehow make that super hard coating. One of the great advantages, is it holds oil in the cylinder for a very good lubrication where other cylinders It just falls right down the cross. Hatching somewhat holds it, but not a whole bunch.

Ues my 7 Siri's had that.Nicosil coating. Nickel and silicone in the mix somehow make that super hard coating. One of the great advantages, is it holds oil in the cylinder for a very good lubrication where other cylinders It just falls right down the cross. Hatching somewhat holds it, but not a whole bunch.
I literally just described what it is and how it's made in the post right before yours...

It's silicon carbide, an ultra hard ceramic, that gets dissolved into molten nickel. The nickel, being conductive, can be electroplated on to the aluminum cylinder. Basically, the nickel is only there to act as a matrix that allows the silicon carbide to adhere. The nickel being the main weakness of the entire thing

Back