HELP! Jackshaft Kit Front Gears Rub Frame

JimmyNibbles77

Local time
9:50 AM
Hello, community!
I've got a GT Agressor pro mountain bike build coming to the FINAL stages of its build, however, I have run into an issue.
The front two gears that came with my jackshaft kit rub against the rear frame of my bike before being fully mounted to the spindle. This makes it impossible to use the bike. Basically, the issue is the spindle is too short for the gears, or the gears are too big for the bike. The jackshaft kit did come with a BB spindle, but it is the same size as my current one, and seeing how my BB is sealed, I couldn't easily change it out if I wanted to. I also couldn't find any BB with longer spindles (as I only need about a half-inch more clearance. My bike uses a British 73mmx122.5mm three-piece BB that originally had three gears at the front.
So does anyone know of:
a- a whole new BB assembly with a longer spindle
b- a longer spindle and a bb I could combine
or c- smaller front jackshaft gears I could buy

I am so close to finally finishing this bike, so to run into such a small hiccup that seemingly unfixable just as I'm about to finish is, as you can imagine, quite aggravating.

I hope you guys can help!
I can provide pictures if necessary

It'd help if you provided pictures of what you're currently dealing with. Then suggestions can be made as how to best solve the problem.

I was able to find some smaller gears for my front freewheel that should work for my intentions. Thank you for your speedy replies, and should my issue persist, I shall provide pictures.

Have a good day!

Hmmm.

If you’re gonna use smaller chainring sprockets on your BB spindle, you’ve ultimately raised your gear ratios on both engine and pedaling power.

In doing so, your engine might not work at its best potential.

Worst.case scenario, your engine will shake and shudder mightily, destroying your clutch

It’s like starting from a stop in second or third gear with a 5-speed transmission.

So what are your sprockets,from your engine, bottom bracket and rear wheel sprocket?

So what are your sprockets,from your engine, bottom bracket and rear wheel sprocket?
I am using standard sprockets for the engine, then on the axle across to the drive side of the bike, two 24T sprockets on my BB, and then an 8-speed gear set for my rear wheel. How then might I fix the high gear ratios, as changing my BB gears isn't really an option?

In this first picture, you can see my drive-side crank is missing as I'm waiting on the delivery of my smaller sprockets.
Also, pictured is the slightly skewed carb I mentioned in a previous thread, however, I was able to seat this fully onto the manifold and there are no gaps. This, however, is the only way I am able to mount my carb. As you can see by the paint scratches, mounting this engine has been a struggle, but I've gotten there and my build is SO close to being complete. Very excited! Sorry for the massive images :p just used my phone and emailed them to myself to get them on my PC
Bike 3.jpg
Bike 1.jpg
Bike 2.jpg

I am using standard sprockets for the engine, then on the axle across to the drive side of the bike, two 24T sprockets on my BB, and then an 8-speed gear set for my rear wheel. How then might I fix the high gear ratios, as changing my BB gears isn't really an option?

You need to pay more attention to which sprockets you install.

You never mentioned which gears you're using on your jackshaft,
or which 8-speed cassette you have.

They're not all the same.
Which are they?

12-25, 13-26, 11-28, 11-32, 12-34?

The fact that you have two 24t chainrings on your BB tells me that you have an extremely high gear ratio.

Not good.

So what's the jackshaft gears and cassette?

Last edited:
Back