Help me decide if i should pick this up...

mark20

Its a 1983 suzuki fz50. 2 speed auto moped.
Titled and has current tabs. The owner "restored" it a month ago (new tires, new battery, stuff like that) and hes about 10 minutes away from me

One big issue on it. Heres a crack on where the kick start meets the actual case. I could repair it with my torch, but im not sure how long that would last.

He wanted 800$ for it, i offered 300$ and he took it, so, should i pick this thing up?

Attachments

Chainlube

You're not going to make any kind of lasting repair on that, did you look for a replacement. Don't you already have a 50 cc?

mark20

You're not going to make any kind of lasting repair on that, did you look for a replacement. Don't you already have a 50 cc?
Yup i do, im just seeing if it would be worth it, as im kinda on the edge about buying it. Would be cool if i could get another one 😆
I think if i braze it, it should atleast hold up for a while

Chainlube

Those little vintage Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki 50s go for $3000 around here. I'd buy it for 300 if I could find a case, but otherwise, it's just a $300 bike.

mark20

Those little vintage Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki 50s go for $3000 around here. I'd buy it for 300 if I could find a case, but otherwise, it's just a $300 bike.
Yea that's the main thing, this one is also the rare 2 speed version as well (only made them in that year) i think it would be a nice run around bike, i might be able to get 800$ for it from the right buyer

mark20

Yea tommrrow ill be looking at it, hopefully its just that one issue. As someone on the other forums said that same bike has been sold on and off for the past 5 months or so. Could be the same owner, or like 5 diffrent ones.

We will see!

mark20

Well, guess what came home with me yesterday!
Ended up picking it up since it was really nice looking.

I opened up the case and found a few surprises floating around in the case.
Turns out the clutch was put back all wrong and wasn't engaging the kickstart, and had made the crack as it was really damn stiff.

Fixed that and took it out for a spin, man the 2 speed is really fun! Didnt push it my first go but it still hits 30mph with zero issues.

Overall, one fun bike!

Attachments

mark20

Took it for a ride today, must have put atleast 100 miles on the thing! Doesnt skip a beat at all.
Ill probably drive this thing to a local MC shop to get oil for it (since im running what i have, which was v twin oil)

I have to say though, it shifts very low in the rpm range, and really doesn't let the motor rev out untill 20mph or so. I think i could re-spring the primary clutch and get a few more rpms out of it before it shifts, but for now, its staying stock.

Also got grocerys!

Attachments