Help me pick a bike motor

I think that once you get out there and go 25 or 30 mph on a bike you will realize that this is fast enough. Most bikes are not made to go as fast as you want to. The brakes for one thing are not that great on most bikes. I have a gary fisher Joshua x1 with a 40 cc zane motori 2 stroke. It will reach 38 mph but scares the you know what out of me. Do not buy a scooter. You will have to buy insurance, reg. it and probably get a special endorcement for your drivers lic. One of the main reasons I have a motorized bike is to beat the hight cost of the pre listed things. Anyway a great engine is the Tanaka 35cc. I have one of those also but mainly use it for long distances because it is reliable as you can get and gets great mileage. Always starts on 3rd pull when cold and first pull when warmed up. You will get about 35mph on the flats. Iuse all my motors on the GEBE kits. For the bigger engines get a 14 tooth counter sprocket. For the 26cc size get the 11 tooth sprocket. I have all 4 of their sprocket and just takes a min. to change one out for different ridding conditions. My first kit was a GEBE kit with the Tanake 26cc pure fire engine. This a sweet engine and will do 30mph all day long with 12 tooth sprocket and it actually gives close to 200 mpg as advertised by the company. Get a good quality full suspension bike. Do not mess with the cheap Walmart junk bikes. Always wear a good quality helmet and use a rear view mirror attached to your glasses or helmet. Be extremely aware of your surrounding's when motoring down the road. Many people enjoy scaring you by coming to close as they pass. I have had them yell out the window at me and even throw things. Lots of stupid jerks out there so be aware of any vehs coming from behind. Motorizing a bicycle is dangerous. Hope this helps you and keep the shinny side up.

This could be what u r looking for, full suspension and a disk brake up front for good stoping power, target sells it for 250.00, and with the gp 460 it will do 50+ mph. The stock clutch springs suck on the 460 engage at 8,000 rpms so you will have to find 50% lighter springs, kerf is trying to find more springs.

Attachments

• bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
do not do it!!!

Anybody who goes 50 mph on a bicycle is suicidal. What is the point??? Do not do it!!! Skab city or morgue at worst.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand where you are coming from.
However, get your feet wet, then decide if you really want to keep up with traffic at 45 MPH on a bicycle.
I am a little bigger than you are being 6-2 and 270. I have a DE scrubber with a 49cc two stroke and it can push me 40 MPH. BUt it wont do it like a motorcycle. I do not use my engine to get me started, I use the pedals. Once I get moving, I bring on the throttle still assisting with the pedals until I get up to a decent speed then I back off the pedals and let the engine take over.
I have ridden large displacement motorcycles for years. These are different. When you figure out YOU are the transmission.
Do a bunch of reading on the forum then get your feet wet. The first system you go with may not meet your requirements. If not you can sell it and try something else.
But if you want this to be a motorcycle, you will be sorely disapointed. If you look at these things a being a fun way to get around and live in their limitations, you will open the door to one of the most absolutly fun ways to get around.

I'm running a 18.75/1 gear ratio and on a cool day, with no head wind, on level ground, my bike will hit 45 mph. To do it, she is turning 11,000 rpm, that's screaming and will kill the engine in pretty short order. I've geared to my current ratio from 21.43/1 to drop rpm at cruse. At 25 she's running 6050 rpm, a reasonable cruse but hills I once accelerated up now put a load on the bike.
The point to all this is, even with 4 hp, the bike won't come close to cruising with 40 mph traffic. Maybe someone else knows how to do it but I'm just not interested in killing myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be what u r looking for, full suspension and a disk brake up front for good stoping power, target sells it for 250.00, and with the gp 460 it will do 50+ mph. The stock clutch springs suck on the 460 engage at 8,000 rpms so you will have to find 50% lighter springs, kerf is trying to find more springs.
So... it was *you*?!? I thought it was kerf.

What kinda mpg's do ya'll see with the 460?? Can't be that much better than a motorcycle, can it?

Who cares about mileage, the fuel for the 460's running over $6.50 a gallon, it's not a very economical engine. But it do go fast and it do go loud.

zipping around above 30 mph does not a good ambassador make for motoredbikes! besides its illeagal! & attracts bad vibes from cops & public! please follow the law & be good ambassador for the cause!

kerf, how do I go 50? I have had it to 52.2 mph and 13,000 rpms and that by a gps, I never had a chance to run the 460 with the stock muffler because it blew the exhaust at the seat, so I installed the x-can muffler which has 2 exhausts 2 to 3 mph increase to top end, and a nitro blast ingnition 20% gain in power. Its a gebe belt drive so 95% of the power is put to the rear wheel, gear reduction robs hp. I dont do this speed very often and dont recomend anyone trying it without a full suspension bike with GOOD! brakes. I cruise 25 to 30mph 99% of the time. Ps.let me know if you hear anything on the lighter springs.

Back