Help me pick a bike motor

I keep mine under 11k, want to get some miles off it. My super top secret formula indicates 53.7 at 13k on mine but we'll never know for sure.

the 460 is a bored out 420 4.0 hp at 13,000 rpms. I read on a go ped site that the 460 is 4.5 hp and can red line 17,500 rpms so I dont think 13.000 will hurt it.

Don't know but DDM list the 460 as 4.2 hp @ 11k, 2.35 ft. lbs. @ 8K. Also, I'm running the stock muffler with an additional 13" glass pack for noise reduction. A tuned pipe would make a lot of power, provided you learn lip reading.

That is me....crazy. I figured that out after I built a kit cobra car. 500 hp after gas goes to $4 a gallon was not exactly smart.......but then again I can downsize the motor to something like a SC buick 3.8 and get around 40+ mpg. At 2,200 pounds the cobra I built is light weight.

The cop that I spoke to down here said that as long as it wa 50cc or under that I didn't have to register it. I figure they'll leave me alone as long as I'm not breaking the speed limit.

The bikes in the tour over in France don't have full suspensions if I recall because they are heavy.

I am considering a kawasaki 250 though. 60+ mpg and it can travel at highway speeds. Then I have to pay for insurance, registration, tax and tag.

For the bike I'm thinking of the future when gas hits $8 or more a gallon. I bet a dozen donuts that when gas hits that level (and it just might rather quickly if Iran gets hit) that gas will go through the roof. I'll bet another dozen donuts that when it is $8 a gallon that either laws will change which will allow bikes to be powered by any cc range of motors so that people can save gas. The biggest draw back IMO to getting a motor powered bike is not being able to keep up with traffic which means getting passed fairly closely by idiots who nearly send you to the ER.

Maybe you are right. Maybe I should get a small motorcycle that can keep up with traffic until the time comes when gas hits $8 or more a gallon.

On the other hand, it never hurts to tinker around. Thinking out loud here........Get the motorcycle and at the same time research hopping up a 50cc motor to put on a bike while at the same time making sure the bike can handle it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

Don't worry about gas at $8.00 dollars a gallon, when it hits $6.00 the economy will go into full blown depression. At that point we'll all be unemployed, starving, living in tent cities and the rule of law will begin to fail. Trust me, a bicycle will be the last thing on your mind.

Back