HELP!!! My clutch keeps slipping!

Hopefully. Ill probably have my own developed by the time they come out though
When I talked with Doug about his clutch I was curious as to what the point was in having a clutch assembly that was sticking out so far and resembled a multi plate dry clutch.I asked if this was so you could dump the clutch and his initial response was yes,I then laughed and told him these engines don't make enough power nor have the gearing to dump the clutch and after a bit of debate he changed his story and said it was to hold the power of the am6 and similar builds,I explained how my clutch was setup and what issues I found with the stock components and that it had no problem holding 10+ hp even thru the pipe hit and showed him a video of the bike accelerating up a long steep grade and the pipe hitting under full load to show that it works just fine.He then proceeded to ask at what temp my clutch runs at and how much pressure it was under,now as for the pressure I have no idea all I know is it's way more than stock with it's 360lb spring,and when I told him my clutch never exceeded 130f I realized what was going on.These guy's down south whom slip the clutch to get on the pipe and alot of them just to get moving out of the hole witch heats the s**t out of it then it and it no longer bites (go figure).All their complaints about clutch slip is what he's trying to address and I get that but what I don't get is the loss of power used to turn the now much heavier assembly witch in turn reduces the available torque transfer where and when you need it the most,controlling the pipe hit and it's power is simple if a centrifugal clutch and or variator can handle that power so can our clutch the trick is that they use pipes that hit much lower in the rpm range and build into the peak power not at the peak power at high rpm like a dirt bike pipe or one with too large of chamber that act's like a dump pipe,if we had a gear box it would hold just fine and not even be an issue with 20+ hp.

When I talked with Doug about his clutch I was curious as to what the point was in having a clutch assembly that was sticking out so far and resembled a multi plate dry clutch.I asked if this was so you could dump the clutch and his initial response was yes,I then laughed and told him these engines don't make enough power nor have the gearing to dump the clutch and after a bit of debate he changed his story and said it was to hold the power of the am6 and similar builds,I explained how my clutch was setup and what issues I found with the stock components and that it had no problem holding 10+ hp even thru the pipe hit and showed him a video of the bike accelerating up a long steep grade and the pipe hitting under full load to show that it works just fine.He then proceeded to ask at what temp my clutch runs at and how much pressure it was under,now as for the pressure I have no idea all I know is it's way more than stock with it's 360lb spring,and when I told him my clutch never exceeded 130f I realized what was going on.These guy's down south whom slip the clutch to get on the pipe and alot of them just to get moving out of the hole witch heats the sh*t out of it then it and it no longer bites (go figure).All their complaints about clutch slip is what he's trying to address and I get that but what I don't get is the loss of power used to turn the now much heavier assembly witch in turn reduces the available torque transfer where and when you need it the most,controlling the pipe hit and it's power is simple if a centrifugal clutch and or variator can handle that power so can our clutch the trick is that they use pipes that hit much lower in the rpm range and build into the peak power not at the peak power at high rpm like a dirt bike pipe or one with too large of chamber that act's like a dump pipe,if we had a gear box it would hold just fine and not even be an issue with 20+ hp.

I agree, although I think the goal has become a combination of it all now. At first dumping the clutch from a start and the purposeful power band slips were of main concern. Now the apparent issue is with those of us that are building these motors with real am6 (not alibaba) top ends, and none of us can get the clutch to hold through power band. No matter what spring, all the preload possible, various friction materials, even changing the amount of pads for more pressure per pad and nothing holds it. Currently the most success is with a few high friction material pads that needs a lot of heat in it before it bites, but eventually they shatter and still wont hold the whole power spike all the way through. Yes, this is due to the high rpm power spike from the big chambers, i'm aware. However multiplate clutch theory is amazing, add another identical friction surface and it doubles the theoretical allowable torque. I do think that what he has is way too wide, I believe its doable without needing a wide crank arm, and its probably way heavier than it needs to be. But that's where future development comes in. At this stage its making a point that he can make a clutch that can hold absolutely anything. Sure a gearbox would solve this, but for the sake of nostalgia I'll always be single speed.

I'm starting to just develop my own "multi plate clutch" for the am6 as we speak, not for sale purposes just for myself. Obviously much thinner and not nearly as much rotating metal

Back