Help! My MB won't start all the way, Its Spitting and Spudering?

CJ5

Local time
7:12 AM
I recently noticed oil coming from where the moffler hooks into the engine, I tightened the bolts and that doesn't help. Last nite I cranked it up like normal, drove to gas station, tried numerous times to crank it, no good, it helped going faster than 13mph but all it did was sound like it was catching but the engine was acting like it was getting fuel is spurts, so all I got before it died was violent spurts of acceleration. Help please

This is going to sound silly, but i have to ask.
are you sure the gas valve is fully open? plenty of gas in the tank?
does your carb. have a secondary fuel shut off by where the fuel line goes in? is it open?
are you running a fuel filter? is it clogged up?
it's possible that a tiny peice of dirt got into the carb and could be clogging up the main jet. your float could also be out of whack, or cocked sideways in the fuel bowl. this would cause the needle & seat to be closed all the time and it would not allow any gas to flow into the carb. the needle & seat could also be stuck closed.
it could also be a bad spark plug, or a bad magneto...it's hard to say. the first thing you have to do is figure out if this is a fuel delivery problem, or an ignition problem.
pull the spark plug out and check to make sure it has spark (assuming that you know how to do that).
if it has spark, check for fuel a fuel problem. if it has spark, go get some starting fluid and spray a TINY shot into the carb throat with the air filter removes, and the throttle wide open. then try to start the engine. if it fires or attempts to fire, then you have a fuel delivery issue. there are a lot of things that can cause the problem you have, so you will have to do some troubleshooting on your own to determine exactly what the problem is.

oil coming out from where the exhaust pipe hooks to the engine is normal if the gasket is getting ready to go. the gaskets are cheaply made for these engines and they don't last long. get yourself an aluminum exhaust gasket from sick bike parts and put it on. it will seal better and last a lot longer than the fiber ones. put a small amount of high temp silicone on each side of the aluminum gasket before you install it.
it's nothing serious, just a leaky exhaust gasket.

It was a fouled spark plug, when I checked the fuel line shutoff I discovered the markings are missleading. It opens two ways and closes one way, I think that the reason why the spark plug was so messed up was cause I have been driving it for three weeks with the fuel left on at all times, because I thought it was in the off position and it wasn't. I am waiting on a new spark plug, with me leaving the fuel line on for so long do I need to try to clean the piston chamber or should I spray anything in it to try to clean it out before I try the new spark plug.

I have the new spark plug in and it still wont fully start, I am getting spark and Fuel and I have played to death with idler Screw and now it will not crank all the way. I had a peice of the cdi spark plug wire come off on the end of the spark plug not sure if that might be the problem. I have tryed everything I don't know what to do now.

get rid of that stock plug wire and get yourself an automotive plug wire with a rubber boot on the end.
the problem could be that your plug wire is not delivering enough spark to the plug (even tho you have spark at the plug, it may not be enough.)
a better quality spark plug wire will make a difference.
what peice came off the plug wire? is it the brass peice that's up inside where the spark plug goes?
if so, that may be your problem.

Yes it is a brass piece, I drained the carb, it was over flowing with gas and still no start just trying

Back