Help needed removing Shimano 7spd freewheel

Fletch

Local time
7:07 AM
I've been trying to remove this freewheel pictured with the tool in the pic. I've been hammering on the wrench trying to get it to budge. Then I realized that the ring with the 2 holes in it is probably a lock ring holding it in. Can someone tell me if I need to remove the part with the 2 holes and what tool I need to do it? Do I need something like this?: http://www.bikebling.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=Paul-Lockring-Wrench

Is there a way to do it without buying a special tool? It looks like maybe a pin wrench would work?

Thanks

Attachments

• P1010684.jpg
    P1010684.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,366
  • P1010685.jpg
    P1010685.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2,326
Clamp the tool you have in a vise and then set the wheel on top then use the wheel and turn counter clock wise. After a tug or two you should be able to spin the wheel right off. You do not need to remove the piece with the two holes. If you dont have access to a vise mounted to a bench. then put the axle back in the hub and after sliding the tool into the freewheel use the axle nuts to hold it in place until you get the freewheel loose. But a vise and using the wheel itself is the best way to get the freewheel loose.

ocscully

Last edited:
Nothing else needs to come off. Freewheels can get jammed on really tightly these days due to the ultra low gears available. As I said before the wheel makes for a great lever. Usually one person can break it loose using the wheel but I've had them where it has taken two of us on opposite sides of the wheel to break one free.

Good Luck,

ocscully

If you use a pin driver to remove that "lockring", about 50 tiny ball bearings will come out of there and your freewheel will come apart, but the core will still be on the hub. Not good.

Get some Break-free or BLaster (penetrating lubricant spray) with the little red straw. Turn the wheel free-wheel side down and spray lube behind the freewheel (don't want to get it inside the hub! It removes grease.) this can loosen the freewheel.

The freewheel tool in a vise is the best technique. You can also manage by leaving an inflated but low tire on the rim, and using a long breaker bar with the tool if it accepts the square on a breaker bar meant for socket wrenches, or you have the large socket.
roll the wheel against a car bumper or wall or something, and lean carefully on the bar till the freewheel gives way (probably quite suddenly!).

Put a little grease on the freewheel (or hub) threads when you put it back on the hub. Next time, it will not sieze to the metal on hub.

image_129.jpg

http://dezndt9i6z9ef.cloudfront.net...19eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/i/m/image_129.jpg

85-610_web_detail.jpg
http://www.stanleytools.com/catalog_images/web_detail/85-610_web_detail.jpg

These are also useful for making cone adjustments if you don't have an axle vise or bench vise.

If you have no other means, you can use a large vise grip pliers on the FW remover tool, and holding the wheel steady, apply pressure slowly with your shoe (counter clockwise!)
until it comes loose. A high quality large adjustable wrench might also work. Stanley makes one sold at walmart for $15 that also works for 1" headset adjustments and is great for axle nuts. It helps to use a large flat washer on the non-FW side, and a quick release skewer, through the tool. This will keep the teeth engaged on the freewheel.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you guys... I got it!!

I tried vise grip pliers but it was too small and slipped around the tool. Then I realized that the long chain whip I just bought had a large opening on the end which fit the tool perfectly. I deflated the tire a little... leaned it against a wall and then gave it a swift kick in the ***! That's all it took ;) I did put a lot of chain oil, and the last few drops of penetrating oil I had on it the other day. You guys saved me a trip to the bike shop!

Glad you got it. I advise against hammering a tool or using abrupt force because it may slip and strip out a fastener, such as the splines on a freewheel.

What brand of chain-whip do you use? I like that it has a slot or hex for your FW remover tool.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back