Help?!? New Bike/Motor. Is this normal?

bigkev81

Local time
10:09 PM
Hi guys,

I recently got myself a motored bike, bought it new, and I've only taken it on a couple short rides, and have been following all the guidelines to running the motor in.
When I bought it home it only had a little fuel in the tank. So I refilled with the recommended fuel/oil mixture.

Anyways, I have noticed the past couple of days that when I return to my bike the next day there is a little oil on the floor. Seems to have come from the exhaust. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance for any advice guys.

Cheers
Kev

Yes. What you describe is not abnormal, anyway.

It merely means that you are getting more fuel/oil/air mix in your combustion chamber than it can burn. The remainder is passing through the exhaust.

You do not want this to go on forever, if only because it'll eventually clog up the exhaust with oil. But you might want to leave it as is during the break-in period.

After that, you'll want to adjust the mixture. If you're unclear on how to do that, then type 'carburetor' into the search window at the top of these pages and you'll find all sorts of threads. The info you need will be in there somewhere.

Good luck.

black from the exhaust. yep. as long as it runs, be happy!

erm. or just a smear, with some petrol...always a seep here or there. inconsequential. be concerned if you find that lil area under the carby flooded with fuel/oil every morning!

otherwise, ride...be happy...

Thank you for the advice everyone.

I was worried maybe the 2 stroke oil I got wasn't the best. I couldn't find the brands he recommended.

Cheers guy, plan on going for a ride soon :)

I'll need to put something in the garage down on the floor though lol

Be thankful that your engine is dripping oil. The day it doesn't is the day you need to worry; especially if you're 50 miles from home...

Also make sure the petcock is OFF when its in the garage, Not all the stock carbs seal real well and may leak.

Back