Help! New Honda pull start wont pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Irish John

I've just taken the stock tank & exhaust & governor off a new Honda GXH 50 and I tried to turn the shaft by pulling the starter rope but it won't pull out. The motor came with oil & petrol in it and I started it and it ran beautifully but since I've stripped the above off it the pull starter won't let me pull the rope out. Does anyone know whay this is happening and what I need to do to fix it?

Won't turn over

Hi John, remove the spark plug, pull rope gently, you probably got either oil, or fuel or both in the combustion chamber, while working on the engine and it is "hydro-locked"

Mike

Hi John, remove the spark plug, pull rope gently, you probably got either oil, or fuel or both in the combustion chamber, while working on the engine and it is "hydro-locked"

Mike

Nope that hasn't worked cos the exhaust port was always open so I didn't think it was hydro-lock but I took the plug out and tried. The rope pulls out 4" and that's as far as it goes. It's got me flummoxed. Any more suggestions?

Nope that hasn't worked cos the exhaust port was always open so I didn't think it was hydro-lock but I took the plug out and tried. The rope pulls out 4" and that's as far as it goes. It's got me flummoxed. Any more suggestions?

It sounds like something is jamming somewhere - do you get any weird noises when you try and turn the engine over? It might be a ring or something jamming on one of the ports.. or you could try having the pull starter assm. apart and checking to see everything is meshing properly.

You mention a govenor - there might be a mechanical lockout on that means that something locks internally in the engine if its taken off; the idea being that if something untoward happens the engine cannot be started to save damage occuring. Since you didnt have problems before you removed those parts and the exhaust wouldnt stop the motor turning and nor would replacing the fuel tank... I would guess that its a mechanical issue which points to the govenor...

hope that helped..

Jemma xx

bummer, I wouldnt say the tank or exhaust caused it ?? I am not familar with the honda, but when you took the governor off , possibly the inside fly weights or something is hanging up becuase no governor lever to pull them back??? Just guessing hope you get it figured it out .

I would check the recoil starter. It is just held on by the three nuts. The assembly pulls of cleanly and you can see if it is free, or the rope has tangled inside and is wrapped over itself.

While off you can turn the engine with the fan fins.

Lets us know what you find.

Jim

I would check the recoil starter. It is just held on by the three nuts. The assembly pulls of cleanly and you can see if it is free, or the rope has tangled inside and is wrapped over itself.

While off you can turn the engine with the fan fins.

Lets us know what you find.

Jim

I've taken the rope puller off and there's no problem with that. the fins won't move either way. I think the crank must be locked up somehow and I'm sure it's to do with the governor removal. Nobody elase has reported anything like this with the Honda. The next thing is to take the cover off where the shaft comes out of the engine and hopefully that will let me look inside to see if something dropped off that governor spindle inside. If I'd known that the throttle was not spring loaded I wouldn't have bought the Honda.

Disconnect the governor linkage to Carb?

I am pondering the governor just now. I wanted to use it, but it idles faster than the GruBee clutch kicks in. Can't see it there is an adjustment because of the transmission. If I go direct wt. the throttle, I intend to just leave the governor lever in place and still connected to the speed lever wt. the spring, but not connected to the carb. Do you foresee a problem wt. that?

Jim

Irish-

As you know, I have never run with a governor and I have never had this problem. One question- is the governor shaft sticking out of the engine still where it was before?

Jim- that should work- as long as the governor lever is not working the throttle plate, the governor is disconnected. You can leave the hardware on or off. I took it all off just because I was not using it and never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back