help! :O (clutch, oil and chain talk)

the 1st thing I do is throw out the master link. I normally have to shorten the chain anyway, so I put em together without the masterlink.

Slightly off topic-

Isn't it better to throw out that hokey idler pulley and make the chain the correct size to begin with?

I realize the master link is for those that don't have a chain breaker or riveter (not sure what you all call it) and the idler pulley is for the sake of not having to shorten the chain, but they seem to disintegrate quickly.

the idler pulley is needed for frame clearance. Most chainstays are too narrow. as for life-span....all my idlers are the old ones (no bearings, just a plastic roller, on a shoulder bolt) & they all have several thousand miles. knock on wood...hehehe
yeah, buddy we're way off topic....and I'm the moddy...sheesh! :eek:

Thejman: if I could, I'd bring my chain breaker over & fix your chain.
walmart sells a cheapo chain breaker for about $4.oo. It's good for about 3 repairs (then it breaks). but ok to carry in your tool kit. Park tools has a decent one for about $30.
not sure of this chain size...heard it called 40....41.....415 ?
anybody know?

415, Went to Theisens and all they carried was a 420 slightly longer pins but it will work for starting it untill i get the 415 in the mail. I may look for a chain breaker somewhere would be handy to have.

No chainbreaker? you can use a pin punch of a slightly smaller diameter than the rivet of your chain.

Back