Help please....what size is the engine on this bicycle...

Damn maybe I should use the can idea for mounting my switch and my CDI in. And here I was looking at high dollar plastic electronic project boxes to mount my systems in.
My first container was a plastic peanut butter jar with the 12v li ion drill battery glued to the inside of the lid with the blinker circuit wired and glued in, the plastic jar part would screw in over the fun stuff to keep water out.

The can is the most ridged thing I have on hand I don't have to take an angle grinder to to open or make the right size. I was seriously considering a yellow mapp gas canister which I would tear open and mount parts in and I would leave it nice and yellow just for the crazy look with some wires shooting out the top. I think the can is probably better so I can keep a certain theme I want to hone out. I also don't have anything to torch right now which means I'd have to waste the most empty canister at a 1/4 full...

I think you could get it done with Pvc and have something that will make a tight fit that should be water resistant enough even without gluing the pipe solid shut. If you want to get really janky there are thousands of cheap junction boxes to pick from at home depot in the electrical department, including plastic outdoor ones meant to be used with plastic conduit and mounted on the side of a building, they are pretty waterproof when used right and rather resistant to being crushed or broken, come in a plain neutral grey color and have faceplate that removes with 2 screws to make it super easy. I'd say just roomy enough for a CDI and wires and easily drilled to take a switch.
1 (1).jpg

I used them helping install new protected wiring on an old house, they aren't specifically pretty but they are effective and probably take paint. Carlon brand.

Loved reading this thread, does the kraut jar mean german engineering went into the bike?
Well I ate some straight before putting tools away and I have pa dutch ancestry, so it's kind of German vonderneering.

yo dennis, your info is wrong. that's not a bt80, but a honda GX200. the bike in the photo is already illegal in the state of california (and nearly everywhere else for that matter) and no amount of lawmaking or poorly researched news articles will make it more illegal.

most every state in the country has laws that explicitly allow motorized bikes given that they fall within regulations, in california those regulations happen to be 2 horsepower or less with an automatic or single speed transmission and capable of no more than 30 miles per hour on flat ground. electric motorized bicycles (e-bikes) are explicitly allowed on a federal level and california law complies with those regulations. if it doesn't fit within those regulations it must be registered as a motorcycle or motor driven cycle for which you need an M1 license and special registration. you need an M2 license if it does fit the regulations. this bike does not fit the regulations, this person was doing something illegal. laws don't stop outlaws, and news articles sure as hell don't.

CVC §406(a)
CVC §405

Thank you....

Yeah...I kind of sat back and watched some of the members make fools of themselves...thanks to the last post...I got my questions answered (Thank you)...in the meantime I had fun watching Frankfurter show everyone on the forum how childish he is...and how quick he is to anger and assume...it is a good thing this is not a cardiac forum...I would of been dead days ago....

Why are you on this forum Dennis John? As you may know, folks here tend to immediately side with other motorbikers in accidents, and your post seems suspiciously like a lawyer or reporter trying to gather information. Frankenstein was correct to try to troll you and believe me he is not angry but probably finds some amusement in trying to thwart your information gathering attempts.

In regards to that, I am no lawyer or reporter but citing a website and some internet user experts seems like a horrible and laughable source. Even the best of us here cannot with 100% certainty determine an engine by looks and not from that far away as in your picture. I can't imagine trying to cite that in an article or defend the source in a court of law, "oh yeah, some guy on this internet forum said it was this..." Well some guy on another internet forum told me 2000 or Y2K was the end of the world so I bought 2 million Twinkies and now I am obese and broke... Good luck

So I am neither...and the responses is something I have never seen....and the exact point that you make with assuming I am a reporter or a lawyer makes me think this is not the first time someone has come looking for info...what amazes me as a person is how everyone who assumes I am a lawyer or a reporter...risk their integrity on it...and on my end...I see your character in the trash for such an assumption...I don't know about you...but I treat people like how I would like to be treated...is why I started to go into step with the goofing around to lighten up the tone...but that didn't work...thanks for those who helped me...I can't even imagine how those who assume something I am not...interact with the world...seriously do make such uninformed assumptions in real life? Hey...life is short...enjoy it....

butre, you are wrong.
CA allows 4 HP now.
The monster Felt pic that Dennis posted could be a 79 cc HF motor which would be legal in CA.

(a) A “motorized bicycle” or “moped” is a two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor that produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

yo dennis, your info is wrong. that's not a bt80, but a honda GX200. the bike in the photo is already illegal in the state of california (and nearly everywhere else for that matter) and no amount of lawmaking or poorly researched news articles will make it more illegal.

most every state in the country has laws that explicitly allow motorized bikes given that they fall within regulations, in california those regulations happen to be 2 horsepower or less with an automatic or single speed transmission and capable of no more than 30 miles per hour on flat ground. electric motorized bicycles (e-bikes) are explicitly allowed on a federal level and california law complies with those regulations. if it doesn't fit within those regulations it must be registered as a motorcycle or motor driven cycle for which you need an M1 license and special registration. you need an M2 license if it does fit the regulations. this bike does not fit the regulations, this person was doing something illegal. laws don't stop outlaws, and news articles sure as hell don't.

CVC §406(a)
CVC §405

So I am neither...and the responses is something I have never seen....

And, you have still not declared your intentions as to why you want to know this information. People are curious and suspicious as to why you want this information, but you have given nothing and wanted folks here to give you information that might be used against another motorized biker.

If you think our character is trashed than that is fine but if you look in this forum you would see that everyone here helps newbies or those curious about motorized bikes. You would find countless testimonies and thanks from newbies and strangers receiving information and tips on how to build or fix their bikes. Of course you did not do that and assumed we have trash ethics when folks are just suspicious but that is fine this is the internet.

Your post is not ordinary from someone curious about motorized bicycles. It is suspicious. No one knows who you are as you just made your account. I don't understand how someone risks their "integrity" in assuming that you are a reporter or lawyer or possibly the guy that hit that bicyclist when you continue to provided no information or back story. Then again, we live in a new era where folks "demand" things simply by providing a cursory "thanks".

I already provided you information. For any legal matters or publication or anything, I don't think you can simply say "on some internet forum some guy told me it was this engine" as anything credible. You have to examine the engine or have a real person with credentials identify it.

You still haven't answered the question. Why do you ask about the engine size on a wrecked bike? Are you just trying to find a way to misdirect your responsibility of the damage and injury you have caused? Are you the victim and compiling all available info to recover your damages? For some reason you have withheld the answer form the beginning. If Richard asked you if your girlfriend gave you the clap you would want to know why he asked. Right?

You still haven't answered the question. Why do you ask about the engine size on a wrecked bike? Are you just trying to find a way to misdirect your responsibility of the damage and injury you have caused? Are you the victim and compiling all available info to recover your damages? For some reason you have withheld the answer form the beginning. If Richard asked you if your girlfriend gave you the clap you would want to know why he asked. Right?

Sounds more like trying to gain evidence to defend themselves from wrong doing that caused the bike to end up in that condition. I truly don't believe it is the bike owner as he would know enough to not ask a question like what size engine that is. I think its more along the lines of what ever hit the bicycle or pulled out in front is the one trying to find any strawman argument that could remove the blame from them by claiming the bicycle shouldn't have been on the road legally to begin with.

But I do love the whole internet sourcing for information and it is fishy that the original poster will not admit to what he wants to know that information for. That is shady as f***.

Back