Help - possible problem.

J

JemmaUK

Hey,

As you might know already I am a throttle-wide-open sorta girl and so far the bikes been holding up well. However I cant seem to find anything on maintainance on anything but the engine - im not sure if the clutch or anything needs stuff doing.. plus I am curious about the function of the bolt that seems to stick out of the clutch housing..

I've done about 60 miles worth so far and just got back from town - when I disengaged the drive and shut the engine down I now get a ticking sound when I cycle with the belt attached and off-tension. This doesnt happen when the belt is tensioned and I cant hear anything unusual when the bike is at speed... any ideas?

Im hoping it isnt serious - is the clutch running dry or have I overtensioned the belt or something *sigh*

any help would be appreciated..

Jemma xx

Jemma,

If you loosen that clutch housing bolt, slide off the engine, you would see if there is any wear on the driveshaft slots.

You've said that you get a rolling start before hitting the throttle, so I doubt you have much wear at all. I was guilty of gunning the engine from a dead stop, and still I was getting a looooot of mileage out of a driveshaft.

Whenever you DO remove the engine, it is a GREAT idea to put a dab of white lithium or other grease before you slide it back on, I had ONE freeze up on me from lack of grease, it did no harm, once the thing was relubricated it motorvated right along.

Dunno about the clicking, is the tension arm clearing the cover slot? Sometimes that makes a odd sound.

Last edited:
Jemma...I believe the ticking" off tension" is the belt touching the drive ring gear teeth as it goes around somewhat loosely. When the belt is engaged it is tight against the drive ring and doesn't move as much. I think nothing to worry about. I have a GEBE robin/subaru on my mountain bike.

Jemma,

If you loosen that clutch housing bolt, slide off the engine, you would see if there is any wear on the driveshaft slots.

You've said that you get a rolling start before hitting the throttle, so I doubt you have much wear at all. I was guilty of gunning the engine from a dead stop, and still I was getting a looooot of mileage out of a driveshaft.

Whenever you DO remove the engine, it is a GREAT idea to put a dab of white lithium or other grease before you slide it back on, I had ONE freeze up on me from lack of grease, it did no harm, once the thing was relubricated it motorvated right along.

Dunno about the clicking, is the tension arm clearing the cover slot? Sometimes that makes a odd sound.

I am a little lary when it comes to taking the engine off - and how on earth did you get the thing to start off on the engine.. mine wont come close to doing that... oh and I learnt something new last night - if you dont have fenders you will get rained on from below *sigh* - road crud and velvet do not mix...

I normally ride up to about 10 mph before cutting the engine in - unless I get hassle from drivers or have to make a dash for a space.. I have changed the exhaust to a short brass flare and it seems to give me a little more power :D

Jemma xx

Jemma xx

I've slid those Zenoahs off and on so many times, it is nothing to worry about, and after greasing the driveshaft, a little jiggling might be needed to slide it back on, often they just slide on in a jif...

Dead stop is relative, I often just kick off with the feet, but yes, I have started rolling many a time from dead stop, slow pressure on the throttle.

Pretty lazy, thats what I'd call me.

Back