Help putting disc brakes/any better brake on a huffy Nel Lusso

Kingdusk

Local time
2:05 AM
Im helping a friend put together a Huffy Nel lusso gas bike, one of the issues we've run into is that it comes with coaster brakes that probably need changed to something better, I thought disc brakes would be good but I don't think the wheels are compatible with the disc kits. Can you guys recommend replacement wheels to put on the Huffy Nel Lusso? Also I know the lusso has a bit of a bad rep in the community and I've tried to tell my friend it might not be a good idea but he is set on that bike. I was thinking that some mag wheels would be a good replacement but I want to be sure if the exact wheels will go with the bike before I buy them for him.

The Bike: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-26...Speed-Comfort-Cruiser-Bike-Charcoal/463783683

The Engine: https://www.gasbike.net/products/79cc-monster-80-bike-engine-kit-4-stroke

one of the issues we've run into is that it comes with coaster brakes that probably need changed to something better, I thought disc brakes would be good but I don't think the wheels are compatible with the disc kits. Can you guys recommend replacement wheels to put on the Huffy Nel Lusso?
I was thinking that some mag wheels would be a good replacement but I want to be sure if the exact wheels will go with the bike before I buy them for him.
You will probably have to hand stretch the rear fork to put the rear wheel back on because of both the sprocket and disk clearance from touching the frame, and just use another 15mm axel nut as a spacer between the sprocket/disk side of the install and the rear frame fork to keep it all from touching like i did...Steel frame only, dont try to stretch an aluminum frame.

read this thread below for more detail...you will also have to do some small amount of ingenuity and fabrication to attach the calipers to the frame as well...DAMIEN

Seems disc brakes are a requirement on mags. Vbrakes wearing on that thin plastic lip might not work very well, wear and resistance to the side pressure applied by a vbrake. Might be slippery too compared to metal.

Vbrakes wearing on that thin plastic lip might not work very well, wear and resistance to the side pressure applied by a vbrake. Might be slippery too compared to metal.
Vbrakes are not rated safe to use at all on the mags and ive never run into any wheels, spoked or mags that have a plastic lip as of yet, mine have all been metal, so mags with the disks are the way to go so i have found out and quite happy with them...DAMIEN

The spoked wheels on that other thread are totally acceptable. 12 gage spokes with disc mount, chromed steel, at a reasonable price. Maybe even cheaper than those mags. If you could find a good down hill bike with disc brakes, then those wheels would work.

The spoked wheels on that other thread are totally acceptable. 12 gage spokes with disc mount, chromed steel, at a reasonable price. Maybe even cheaper than those mags. If you could find a good down hill bike with disc brakes, then those wheels would work.
Im probably going to just convince my friend to change his bike selection he won't like it but the Nel lusso just seems too much of a pain to get working right, anyone have suggestions for a bike that I can buy online that will fit the 79cc Monster 80 Bike Engine Kit and has something better than just a coaster brake? Its a bit large and I want to make sure I buy a bike that will fit it.

Last edited:
Vbrakes are not rated safe to use at all on the mags and ive never run into any wheels, spoked or mags that have a plastic lip as of yet, mine have all been metal, so mags with the disks are the way to go so i have found out and quite happy with them...DAMIEN
I've been looking for the adapter for putting a rear disc brake on my mags. Do you know which kind is best? My frame is a GT-2A with the built in gas tank.

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Im probably going to just convince my friend to change his bike selection he won't like it but the Nel lusso just seems too much of a pain to get working right, anyone have suggestions for a bike that I can buy online that will fit the 79cc Monster 80 Bike Engine Kit and has something better than just a coaster brake? Its a bit large and I want to make sure I buy a bike that will fit it.
I put one of those little 79cc engines on a mini chopper, it was tough creating the right set up. In the end I just welded a sleeve to the crank and ran a TAV30.
Canadian version of HF.

Back