Help Removing Clutch Drum

What's your new project, Dave?

I'm looking for a used friction drive kit, minus engine. I hate down time while swapping parts.

Ugh... I was messing around trying out different engines on my 1st gen Staton kit. Bolted a 31cc Huasheng 4-cycle to it and I guess it didn't properly center itself into the clutch drum. When tried to take it for a spin, heard metal on metal and something broke off. Unbolted the engine to inspect and found a chunk of metal broke off from the clutch drum lip. Tried soaking the thread, chain and rubber oil filter wrenches, Vise grips, etc. on it but the darn thing is completely seized onto the roller shaft. May have to borrow a small torch and take a flame to it. 1-1/2" Roller was worn so decided to go ahead and ordered a whole replacement kit.

I came across this great little tool to remove the stuck Staton Clutch drum. It's called the Jaw Grip by Fram. After soaking the drive roller with penetrating oil, it easily came off with no damage using this tool. I think it costs around $7 from Walmart.

Attachments

• fram jawgrips filter_wrench.jpg
    fram jawgrips filter_wrench.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 231
Back