Help??? (sparkplugs, petcocks and old socks)

• Thread starter sideshowsideswipe
  • Start date
S

sideshowsideswipe

Loving the bike, I had to replace the exhaust gasket with pieces of a SOCK! The bike runs great except after I go about 3 miles the engine sputters and jerks. I have enough fuel, the brass fuell petcock, a particulate filter and only 60 miles on the engine.

The question is why is it sputtering and stalling? do I need to ditch the particulate filter?

Thanks... I hope I"m not annoying you guys with all my posts...

Just checked the sparkplug, and the contacts are a little dark...could that be it?

Its either that or mayble something with the carburator. I hope you get it running good.

what annoys me is not having my engine yet to be able to share/compare/help solve these kindsa problems :(

I should have posted this in the tech help forum...but thanks guys...

waiting for my motor was tough, waiting to get it working took a lot longer and I only rode to work twice before the northeast winter started...

sputter

I had that problem once and it was a little water in the fule I added a few drops of this stuff that takes the water out and ran the bike for about an hr. it had been running great until my accident.

Cookie

Accident??????

Cookie, I didn't know you had an accident. What on earth happened? Hope your OK Tom in WV

Blond moment

I was riding home in a heavy rain and my bike slide out from underme when I was making a turn and hit a bump (bad timming) messed my knee up (again!!) and have to work on my engin my CDI unit seems to be giving me problems but have to wait on fixing it right now.

Cookie :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

sputtering

I had that problem with two bikes. It turned out that the brass fuel petcock wasn't fully open pointing straight down. The ones I got actually opened up fully when they were pointing down at an angle. You can check it easily by blowing air through the petcock while opening and closing it to see where the air flow through the easiest.

Having the petcock only partially open would cause the bike to run fine until the carburetor used up all the fuel in the bowl. Then when the bike died, the bowl would slowly fill up, and then it would run again after a few minutes. Then it would die again. It took me a while to figure that one out. One of the bikes this happenned to would lose power and sputter after running at full throttle, and the other bike would completely shut down.

I don't know if this will apply to your bike, but it might be worth checking out. It was an easy fix just knowing that I had to put the fuel lever at a slightly different angle and the bike would run fine. I would imagine that a lot of the bikes actually have this problem, since the parts seem to come from the same place.

Back