Pull Start help: where to get wide cranks, how to know what fits.

jatgm1

Local time
1:40 AM
i have a specialized hardrock mountain bike with a three gear crank, or sprocket, thing. here are a bunch of pictures. what i want to do is add a centrifugal clutch and pullstart to my bike, and in order to do that, i need to have better clearance. i know nothing about this. someone eduabacate me please.

This is what I have on my bike but mine is black. http://www.ebay.com/itm/191548045399?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This gives me plenty of clearance for the pull start on my bike but I'm not sure about the centrifugal clutch.

The problem with this though is that You have a multi speed bike lol, so I'm not real sure how this is gonna work unless you ditch the higher chain rings for this single speed. Another thing is that this is designed for 1/8 single speed chains and multi speed bikes commonly use 3/16 multi-speed chains. I'm sure they would work ok but ehhh I don't know. So you might be able to do it if you sacrifice your 2 and 3 chain ring but you would still have your rear cluster for some gearing. You might also have to get a bottom bracket with a narrower spindle like a 107 to use with the single crankset. That might not be totally necessary if you don't mind your chain line being a little off. Your current bottom bracket spindle looks to be square taper so if you remove your crankset with a crank puller, the set I linked to will mount right up.

Or you can try to find the longest bottom bracket spindle you can find and use your current crankset and maybe it will give you enough clearance but you will most definitely have chain line issues.

Jeez I'm givin myself a headache. I like my single speed cruiser with coaster brake :D

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back