Help with 4 Stroke Kill Switch Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Irish John

My HuangSheng 4stroke is ready. Only thing to do id start it and wire up the 2 wires from the throttle mounted kill switch. Please can someone tell me how to do this?
Do I take the wires to the on/off switch on front of engine & what do I do with the 2 wires from the throttle switch?
Many thanks to anyone who can help.

If I were you... I'd try to see if I could easily get at either one of the wires hooked to the toggle switch that's already there. Splice in enough wire to reach the front & mount a push-push (NOT momentary) on/off switch... then you can have two switches, which is extra likely to fool the person who is driving off with your bike in the back of their truck.

Last edited:
If I were you... I'd try to see if I could easily get at either one of the wires hooked to the toggle switch that's already there. Splice in enough wire to reach the front & mount a push-push (NOT momentary) on/off switch... then you can have two switches, which is extra likely to fool the person who is driving off with your bike in the back of their truck.

Thanks for that Sparky - I understand what you are saying but how many wires are inside that toggle switch (let's call it the on\off switch because that is what it says on it). If there are 2 wires which ones do I conecct to which ones from the throttle switch> SO there are 2 switches the on\off and the throttle-mounted switch. The latter has 2 wires (both black) the on\off switch has how many wires and of what colour. So which wire goes to which wire? That is what I need to know for the time being until I get an auto electrician to rig up a really good switch on the handlebars.

Each of the switches will have two wires. They are just completing the circuit like a daisy chain... if one of the switches is off... the chain is broken and the engine won't crank.

Like I said, pick either wire from the built-in switch and splice in enough wire to reach your handlebars & mount a push-push switch.

You could prolly figure out how to use the kill switch & wires you've already got, because supposedly grounding out better quality engines than Happy Times isn't that bad. But I'd prolly still go for the push-push switch instead of a momentary on/off button.

Each of the switches will have two wires. They are just completing the circuit like a daisy chain... if one of the switches is off... the chain is broken and the engine won't crank.

Like I said, pick either wire from the built-in switch and splice in enough wire to reach your handlebars & mount a push-push switch.

You could prolly figure out how to use the kill switch & wires you've already got, because supposedly grounding out better quality engines than Happy Times isn't that bad. But I'd prolly still go for the push-push switch instead of a momentary on/off button.

Actually Sparky there is only one cable coming from the motor and 2 cables from the throttle switch. The photo below shows them both clearly. There is a joiner just back from the motor's On\Off switch. Which cable from throttle should join the single cable from engine - one, both or none? There is a black and a red cable from the throttle switch.

Attachments

• Cables.jpg
    Cables.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,439
Last edited by a moderator:
Done it

I succeeded in joining the wires. I joined the black wire from the throttle cable to the one wire from the motor to the on\off switch and then joined the red wire from the throttle switch to the earth screw that holds the on\off switch to the engine casing. This works but the switch is a bit iffy at the handlebars. Once I learnt exactly how iffy I decided to keep it as an anti-theft device. I have to wiggle the cable below the handlebar switch after using it before the engine will restart. It's a brand new kit and the switch is dicey. When the Honda motor comes I'll get shot of all the junk fittings.

How can I hook up my shut off throttle. The motor just has one wire and the throttle has 2

How can I hook up my shut off throttle. The motor just has one wire and the throttle has 2
The wire from the motor goes to one of the wires from the throttle and the other wire from the throttle goes to any convenient bolt on the side of the motor, usually one of the cover screws. It doesn't matter which wire does where, it's only a momentary switch. When you push it, it grounds out the power to the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back